Overtime games lead to mixed results

Women's soccer team defeats Xavier, falls to Notre Dame

The women's soccer team finished a weekend road trip in which it went into overtime twice, defeating Xavier 1-0 Sunday, after falling to Notre Dame 2-1 Friday.\nAt Xavier, IU (3-1) scored the only goal of the game at the 103:42 mark when senior Stacey Peterson placed a corner kick toward the goal for junior Dana Philp, who deflected the ball to Kim Grodek, who scored her third goal of the season, to down the Musketeers 1-0.\nThe freshman forward now has two game-winning goals on the year.\nAt South Bend, a golden goal from Notre Dame forward Kelly Tulisiak at the 97:19 mark in overtime gave the Irish a 2-1 win over the Hoosiers in South Bend Friday. Grodek scored at the 74:16 mark, tying the game against the No. 3 team in the nation. Grodek got free in the box after junior forward Lisa Tecklenburg outmuscled an Irish defender for a loose ball on the right side of the area. Tecklenburg, sitting on the ground, punched the ball to Grodek, who scored. The Irish controlled the first 20 minutes of the game with its speed and physical play, and got out to a 1-0 lead when Randi Scheller scored from 20 yards out straight away. \nFollowing the goal, IU made the necessary adjustments and evened things out from a possession standpoint for the remainder of the game. \nIU battled throughout the first half, and went into the locker room down only 1-0 to the Irish.\nThe Hoosiers had plenty of chances to score, but could only manage one goal against the Irish, the ninth consecutive time they have failed to score multiple goals against Notre Dame. In the 18th minute, Tecklenburg had a takeaway deep in the Irish zone, leading to a clean look from the middle of the area for junior forward Kate Kastl. But Kastl's shot went wide to the left.\nIU had another scoring chance in the 55th minute when senior back Stacey Peterson's corner kick found sophomore Erin Hesselbach in the area. Hesselbach then found senior Kelly Kram, who eventually was pressured out of the chance to get a shot off from the top of the area. Another corner, this one coming in the 68th minute off the foot of Peterson, may have been the Hoosiers' best chance to tie the contest, when junior Dana Philp got a head on the ball, but sent it just over the bar.