On and off the course

Senior captain's accomplishments extend past golf, reaching to community

As a fifth-year senior, Rich Thomas has seen a lot of twists and turns in his golf career. So it probably should have come as no surprise that he ended up becoming golfing buddies with none other than Principal Belding of "Saved by the Bell" this summer. But you better not call him Screech.\n"I'd rather be called Zack or Slater," Thomas joked.\nFor Thomas, the cart path to this experience and others he would encounter as an IU golfer began when he was senior at Walsh Jesuit High School in Akron, Ohio. Upon visiting IU, Thomas was immediately impressed by then-head coach Sam Carmichael.\n"Coach Carmichael made me believe that I would make an impact right away," Thomas said. \nThomas, who was highly touted as a prep player (he was named Player of the Year by the Cleveland Plain Dealer and the Akron Beacon Journal), also wanted a chance to leave his native Ohio. So, he chose IU over schools closer to home, such as Akron, Kent State and Ohio State.\n"I wanted to make my name more known nationally, not just at home," Thomas said.\nHe would have to wait a year before competing, though. Thomas was redshirted his freshman year, 1997-98. The Hoosiers won the Big Ten Championship that year.\nAfter that season, Carmichael stepped down so he could solely focus on his role as women's head coach. Mike Mayer took the reigns from Carmichael and introduced Thomas to a new system.\n"Coach Carmichael instilled work ethic. If you bothered to put time into practice, he made it worth it," Thomas said.\nThomas also said Carmichael was quite intense.\n"Coach Mayer is more laid back," Thomas said. "He doesn't get down on you as much."\nThomas has played every year since Mayer has coached. His best finish was a tie for 26th at the Xavier Invitational in 1998. He is the captain of this year's squad.\n"As a fifth-year senior, Rich has been around the block," Mayer said. "He knows the ropes and brings a lot of experience to this program."\nHaving a group of freshmen as talented as this year's crop has made Thomas' job as captain an easy one. But he still knows that he is looked up to as a leader.\n"They came in with so much experience and talent," Thomas said. "But sometimes they still need a kick in the butt."\nBut Thomas' accomplishments go far beyond the fairways. He has been named Academic All-Big Ten every year of his career.\n"That's the proudest memory I have from IU," Thomas said. "I'll remember that longer than my scoring average or how many tournaments I played in."\nLike Thomas, IU Assistant coach Mike Kemper was Academic All-Big Ten in his playing days, winning the award in 1993, '95 and '96. Kemper said the task of balancing quality on the course and in the classroom is difficult to attain.\n"Let me be the first to tell you…that it is not as easy as some people think," Kemper said. "Everyone should be really impressed with what Rich has done."\nThomas has also received accolades for his work in the community. He is an active member of the Student Athlete Advisory Committee. The organization is made up of IU athletes who volunteer their time to work with kids at Bloomington Hospital and charitable organizations such as Boys and Girls Club.\n"I love working with kids," Thomas said. "It's rewarding seeing the looks on their faces when they meet an athlete. It gives them hope when they see someone who wants to make a difference in their lives."\nThomas' efforts earned recognition as he was presented with the 2001 Balfour Award. The award is given to an athlete in each sport that displays a combination of academic and athletic prowess with work in the community.\nAfter he graduates, Thomas would like to become involved with the PGA Tour -- not as a player, but helping in the organization of one or two Tour events each summer. \nThomas would be following in his father's footsteps. His dad already fills a role of that description for the LPGA Tour every year.\nIn fact, it was while interning for the NEC Invitational at Firestone Country Club in Akron that Thomas had his golf outing with the man better known to the world as Mr. Belding -- Dennis Haskins.\nThe pairing came about one Monday when one of Thomas' bosses asked him if he wanted to play the next Wednesday. Naturally, Thomas obliged. When he showed up to the tee box, he was surprised to see who his playing partner was.\n"He was a real nice guy," Thomas said. "You would never guess he was a semi-celebrity."\nThomas has talked to Haskins a few times since their round. Thomas said he is trying to lobby Haskins to make an appearance at this year's Little 500. He had been in Akron as a guest for the National Soapbox Derby race.\nThough he has accomplished much during his career, Thomas hungers for a few more helpings before the buffet closes. He would like to see the team repeat the success it had his redshirt freshman year by bringing home a Big Ten Championship. \nIn addition, Thomas would like the see the team succeed in regionals and advance to the NCAA Finals in Columbus, Ohio.\n"There wouldn't be a finer way for me to end it as a college golfer," Thomas said. "This is a great group of golfers, and I'd love to share it with them"