Mirabal music lacks flow

Native American flautist Robert Mirabal brought his show "Music From A Painted Cave" to the IU Auditorium last Thursday. An ensemble of native dancers, singers and the "Rare Tribal Mob" band joined Mirabal as he mixed traditional Native American music with more modern American influences. \nA nearly empty Auditorium enjoyed Mirabal's music, which worked its way from traditional Native American music to modern rock and roll-style songs. Unfortunately, the mixture proved less than impressive.\nThe show was fractured and lacked coherence, with the exception of the mixture of old and new styles. Mirabal struggled with how his ancient roots fit with modern American culture. In Mirabal's case, modern America won in the end.\nMirabal's band includes Bloomington resident Kenny Aronoff. The album was produced by another Bloomington resident, Mark Hood. The post-production work for the CD was performed at Echo Park Studios in Bloomington.\nMirabal's music brings together his Taos heritage and American mainstream music, which he says is like "running a footrace with the wind." His music speaks to the plight of the Native American in modern America. \n"As soon as I began playing, people would ask me to perform," Mirabal said in a press release. "They say the flute chooses you, and it certainly has changed my life. Since then, I've spent most of my time traveling and playing music."\nIn addition to being a performer, Mirabal is also an author, actor, screenwriter and flute maker. A native of New Mexico, Mirabal creates his melodies based on the rituals that have surrounded him during his life at Taos Pueblo, where he lives to this day. That aspect of his culture became less apparent as the performance continued. \nThe mixture of traditional and modern influences in Mirabal's music is a reflection of how modern American society has destroyed the traditional Native American way of life. The two hours of Mirabal's show attempted to open the audience's eyes to what has happened to Native American culture in the several hundred years since the white man "discovered" what already existed and "civilized" it. \n"My culture doesn't allow me to record anything traditional," Mirabal said in the release. "But my music is informed by the ceremonial music that I've heard all of my life. What I create comes out of my body and soul, in desire to take care of the spirits of the earth."\nMirabal introduced each song, at times with long, meandering stories. Other times he would attempt a joke. The narratives had the potential to present important stories and educate Mirabal's audience. Instead, some lacked focus, forcing worthy ideas and narrative to go unnoticed. \nMirabal's theatrical and eclectic show is based on a popular concert he taped for PBS that first aired this spring. The PBS show consistently ranked among PBS' top programs and received multiple showings in dozens of markets around the country. Mirabal's CD entered Billboard's Top Ten New Age list within two weeks of its release. Mirabal's awards include being named amazon.com's Best New Age Artist for 2000 and Songwriter of the Year in 1998, 2000 and 2001 at the Native American Music Awards.