Lyon named as soccer coach

Former Evansville coach has big 'goals' for upcoming season

Expect the women's soccer team to be goal-oriented next year. They won't be just scoring goals on the field, they'll also be meeting them off the field.\nAt least that's what the new coach said he will demand of them.\n"For the team, their first goal will be to get to the Big Ten Tournament," newly-announced head coach Michael Lyon said. "That absolute must, will happen this year. Once we get in there, we're three games from the championship, so you can reassess at that point and then say 'What's the goal right here? Let's win this thing.'"\nThe IU Athletic Department announced Tuesday that Michael "Mick" Lyon will be the new women's soccer coach beginning in July.\nLyon took the job at IU after coaching the last nine years at the University of Evansville, a Division I school. He had an overall record of 107-65-18 as the head coach of the women's soccer team.\n"I look at the women's soccer program and I definitely think it's one that has a potential that's just bubbling," Lyon said. "Meeting the athletes -- I met about 10 of the players -- they're full of enthusiasm to want to succeed and compete and do well, and I know I can bring that out of players. Those kind of things made me just say 'This is the right kind of place for me to be at.'" \nSoccer recruit Danielle Patton said she has heard quite a few good things about her new coach.\n"I got a favorable opinion of him from the Regional camp I was at last summer," Patton said. "One of my club teammates has nothing but good things to say about him. I think he will be great at stepping up and coming in." \nLyon also said he is not worried about the challenges facing him.\n "First, winning my first Big Ten game, then getting into the Big Ten tournament and winning a couple there," he said. "That's my first challenge."\n Patton said she is looking forward for the season to start now.\n "I want to come in and prove myself, make a favorable opinion on the new coach," Patton said.\nDirector of Athletics Michael McNeely said Lyon's experience will be a needed change for the program.\n"Mick brings a wealth of experience and success in women's soccer with him," McNeely said in a prepared statement. "The mission of the IU athletics program is to prepare student-athletes for championship competition. We are confident that Mick will provide the leadership to accomplish this with the IU women's soccer program."\nLyon led the Evansville squad to the Missouri Valley Conference regular season crown in four of the last five seasons and won the conference tournament championship in five of the last six campaigns. Lyon also led the team to the NCAA Tournament in three of the last four seasons.\n"Since coming to the United States in 1985, I have been well aware of the soccer tradition at Indiana," Lyon said. "The men's program has had unparalleled success and our goal is to emulate that on the women's side and to have annual success at the national level. With the talent that already exists at Indiana, the facilities and the academic excellence of the university, this can be achieved in the next few years."\nLast season, Evansville won the conference tournament for the fifth time to advance to their third NCAA Tournament in four years while the IU team finished just over .500 for the first time in three seasons.\nLyon said success is possible with IU's tradition-filled program.\n"From a selfish side, I want to win a National championship," he said. "I have to put myself in a place where I can do that. At Evansville, I've accomplished quite a lot, and I think I've represented the school well and given back everything they've asked in our accomplishments, but I don't know if I (could) take it much further"