Local band grooves in the studio

Album no milestone, but a solid debut

Fans of local band Three Minute Mile won't have to wait for the group's new album much longer. The band is hosting a CD release party for Waiting for Whenever Friday at Vertigo, 107 W. Ninth St. The album will be in stores Saturday.\nWaiting for Whenever gives many of the band's songs, popularized from shows in the area, proper studio treatment. Also present are new recordings of the band's two contributions to the Live From Bloomington CDs, "Tables Always Turn" and "Groove Me," which are two of the strongest songs on the album.\nThe album is a solid debut for the band, and given a little more time to develop, Three Minute Mile has the talent to make a name for itself. \nThe music stands up well, as the guitars jangle and weave over Justin Seidenberg's backing drums to create a sound that is not out of place with modern rock bands. The music bounces between up tempo pop rock and acoustic ballads, with little flourishes of funk and jazz thrown in seamlessly. Jason Kotynski's vocals are strong, and the backing harmonies of Mike Stocksdale and Justin Leone carry many of the songs forward.\nThe new release has many superb tracks. "Dance the Blues" is six minutes of grooving enjoyment, while "What I Lost" and the title track are gentle, lilting introspective acoustic numbers that are beautifully haunting.\nWhile the album holds its own, there are a few slowdowns to the momentum. \nOpener "God Song" lacks a power punch to draw in the first-time listener. "Hope in a Can" tells the comical story of a man who puts too much stock in alcohol and sex, but its entire vibe seems out of place on the album, especially with its party-scene vocal introduction. \nWaiting for Whenever is enjoyable, but drags in spots on this 13-song, hour-long album. Cut out the filler, and Three Minute Mile would have a great start to its career. As it is, the album is still worth the money, and is a good overall listen.