Letters to the editor

IUSA elections are a joke\nThe IUSA elections are a total joke. First, I have to say how obnoxious it was to have four separate groups of IUSA campaigners knock on my door after midnight last night trying to get me to vote, despite the fact that I was sleeping. When I did try to vote, I found that the IUSA site was so swamped with people that just getting my vote through took more than half an hour. Here are a few examples of the platforms from each ticket running. On the campus alcohol policy:\nSynergy: "To create a responsible campus alcohol policy"\nSteel: "The alcohol policy outlined in a study financed by the Chancellor's office is very disturbing."\nKirkwood: "We are opposed to the current policy."\nOn RPS:\nSynergy: "Correcting other problems, like the high prices in residence hall center stores…"\nSteel: "We were able to prove that the center stores overcharge as much as 200 percent…"\nKirkwood: "The committee will work to ensure that vendors' prices are in-line with prices in Bloomington…"\nIn addition, all three support policies of increased contact with student groups, improving the stature of the greek system, and the elimination of double jeopardy within the campus judicial system. While all of these are fine goals, there is absolutely no disagreement between any of the tickets on virtually every issue. While IUSA's goals are very worthwhile, the point of an election is to provide people a chance to vote on issues where people have differing opinions, not where everyone agrees on everything. Perhaps the lack of any true issues in these elections are the reasons for the low voter. Case in point: At the IUSA debate last week, at one point a candidate asked the audience how many people were undecided voters, and a total of two people raised their hands. IUSA has plenty of issues to deal with, but in the end it comes down to a popularity contest based on who can get the most people awake at midnight to vote for a ticket.\nJ. Brian Balta\nSenior

Myles Brand should resign\nIt is sad to read just how easily Myles Brand duped the students he met with recently regarding academics and athletics. It is hardly "filtering through the media" when one reads the actual text of Brand's speeches. It is hardly filtering the message when one sees with one's own eyes the actions Brand has taken with the basketball coaching staff and the delays in finding a football coach. These actions and these words were highly detrimental to athletics at IU. Brand is an intelligent man. Do these students think it is impossible for him to speak out of both sides of his mouth? There is no doubt that his intention is "to turn down the volume" on college athletics. He has said so.\nDo these students really think he is implying that the fans yell more softly at the games? Or is the intention just to give them less to cheer for. Look at Brand's words and the record. If these students are concerned about being duped by the media rather than Brand, read the speeches. Brand should resign. Unfortunately, he has already done grievous harm to our great University.\nMarc Young\nAlumnus