Letters to the editor

Sound, lighting crews praised I would like to commend the IDS for finally bringing attention to the dedicated and hardworking men and women within the sound and lighting industry. The Fraziers, Schillings, Gillespies, Schunns, Browns and many others often work tireless hours without notice in order to support and promote the local music scene. For years, I had worked side by side with all of them. Today, I work all over the country designing nightclubs and lighting productions. I have worked with the largest lighting and sound production companies in the world. So, I can honestly say that Bloomington is truly blessed with some of the most talented and professional production men and women I have ever met in my 15 years in the industry. So next time you go to an event or to see a band, give them a friendly wave and don't be afraid to send them a shot or two. Daniel Davis
Chicago, IL Government should investigate Enron controversy I was very pleased to read a column by Ben Piper (Jan. 14) concerning the situation with Enron's collapse. This is a very serious matter for energy companies, other corporations and accounting firms, as the decisions that are established from the fallout will have major implications on these industries for years. I disagree with Mr. Piper's opinion of keeping the federal government from investigating this matter. Mr. Piper establishes an excellent point on Democrats becoming politically motivated in this matter because President George W. Bush, Attorney General John Ashcroft and other prominent conservatives received political contributions from Enron in 2000. However, the key element to Enron's bankruptcy was that many employees inside and outside of Enron lost substantial amounts of their retirement funds from the fall of its stock. More importantly, these employees were not allowed to sell their stock during its fall, while top Enron executives were allowed to sell early. There is significant evidence to warrant a criminal investigation from the federal government concerning the financial treatment of Enron by the company and its accounting firm Arthur Andersen. This investigation is needed, because people's lives have been changed immensely by the loss of their retirement funds. Those responsible for this loss should be held responsible for their negligence. To find those responsible, a proper investigation must include tracking the recent business activities of Enron and the persons associated with them, including the president and attorney general. I'm not saying the president or the attorney general did anything wrong in this matter, but they should divulge their past with Enron for an investigation into the company. If Democrats pursue the president or his aides as the intent of this investigation, it will portray the party as witch hunters and fail to establish the true goal of the inquiry. Mr. Piper is correct with his worries of political motivation into Enron's investigation to harm the president. However, a federal investigation that is fair and free from political partisanship is absolutely necessary for Enron due to the effect its collapse had on those who lost so much of their future. Brian Flueckiger
Senior Budget hassles It's nice to see that Time Magazine chose IU as its favorite research university for the year. This is wonderful for the school and it honestly reflects the well-oiled part of the IU machine. However, the projected budget cuts threaten to expose the seeming underbelly of past administrative policy and stand as a detriment to the achievements that gain this university recognition from institutions like Time. In all fairness, I have noticed that IU President Myles Brand has taken some very responsible measures to alleviate budget constraints. It's not enough. With talk of the main cuts coming from technology services and academic departments, all of the responsibility comes down on the shoulders of the people who aren't making the decisions. Meanwhile, donations to scholastic sports soar, the business MBA building moves right along, and Time calls us the best in research. But why? I suggest that money pours into bolstering the appearance of the campus and its life. The sidewalks are covered with ice for the third day. INSITE is almost inaccessable, currently. And worst of all, professors are still earning salaries for up to five years after retirement and we can't seem to pay our custodial and secretarial staff decent starting wages. It seems that those without money or a voice -- students and blue collar workers -- will continue to feel the dollars sucked from IU's programs, while the university tries to maintain an appearance to appease parents of would-be IU students. Micah Haskell-Hoehl
Sophomore Column highlights energy problems Kenneth Halcom's column (Jan. 8) about conserving energy highlights the problems with our current energy strategy. We can reduce our reliance on oil from the Middle East and other areas, create jobs and secure our energy future by using America's technological know-how to develop newer, cleaner sources of energy like solar and wind and by making our cars, homes and appliances more energy efficient. Energy efficiency means smarter energy use, not doing with less. By using energy wisely we can reduce our overall dependence on fossil fuels while lowering consumers' energy bills and drastically reducing pollution. Increasing the amount of renewable energy used in the U.S. would create a more resilient national energy system less vulnerable to disruption by human threats or natural disasters. Although currently only 2% of our energy comes from clean, renewable resources, the potential power output of wind, solar and geothermal resources in the US is many times greater than our total electricity consumption. A national renewable standard of 20% of power generation by 2020, combined with energy efficiency policies, could save consumers over $105 billion per year by 2020, reduce global warming emissions by 66% and decrease smog and soot-forming pollution by 55%. These policies ensure reliable supply at stable prices produced with minimal harm to public health and the environment. It's time for an energy policy that promotes clean, renewable energy and increased energy efficiency. It's past time to reject an energy plan that rewards the polluting oil, coal and nuclear companies that have caused these problems. Amanda Roll-Pickering
Staff Sims column questioned I saw the title. I sighed and hoped violently that the Fates might give me an unexpected gift, that the editorial would be some kind of parody of the image-obsessed, overly self-conscious Stereotype Girl I see everywhere. But no. It turned out to be, instead, an image-obsessed, overly self-conscious Stereotype Girl. I am, of course, referring to your fine column, "Declaring War on 'Freshman 15.'" By fine I mean "relentlessly irritating in its idiotic obsession with physical appearance." As a student, does this girl have nothing better to do than worry about her inner thighs? Are there no weightier, more pressing issues on her mind than pictures of swimsuit models in magazines? Sadly, it seems that for her and for about 80 percent of young female Americans, there really ISN'T anything else to think about. Should we blame the decline of the educational system? Should we blame television, and the forementioned magazines? Why bother? The damage is done, for these people, at least. But please, let's quit promulgating it! Can we pretend for a week that IU, as a distinguished institution of higher learning or whatever it is, that we have more pressing issues in its student newspaper than some kid moaning at length about her cellulite? I don't really think that it's particularly necessary to present the idea that getting all of one's self-esteem from one's physical appearance and others' perceptions of it is rational. It is, in fact, disgusting. We are at college to learn, at least allegedly. Can we please confine this sort of nonsense to our dorm rooms? If we have to swap bullemia tips, can we do it while giggling under posters of Britney Spears and not inflict it on such members of the academic community who picked up the paper in the hopes of learning something about the world around them, and not about Stephanie Sims's opinion of her thighs? I recognize that this is a primary topic of interest to most members of my immediate demographic group. However, the constant yammering about the topic of weight makes me want to gain 250 pounds and wander around in a string bikini. If you would spare yourselves that sight, PLEASE shut up about your body dysmorphic disorders and print something USEFUL! Ondine Eleven
Senior