Letters to the editor

Proof, safety and personal freedom\nI am writing in response to all the hype we are seeing here in the United States about the attack on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. How many times are they going to show footage of the planes hitting the towers? It's just not healthy. We all know what happened. Let's not keep revisiting it. Afghanistan's leaders are requesting proof that bin Laden was involved in the attacks. Is that too much to ask? Since we're threatening to slice up their countryside with missiles and bombs, don't they deserve that? If we have the proof, then we should give it to them. What if Dick Cheney or Colin Powell was accused of doing a dastardly deed such as this on foreign soil? What if that country threatened an attack on major U.S. cities if the perpetrator were not turned over? We wouldn't stand for that. Why should the Afghans? Every time someone else stands up for what they believe in, the U.S. starts shaking in its boots.\nMy next issue is safety. I automatically assume that every time I walk out my front door, that risks will be involved. Will I break my leg walking down the stairs to my building? Will I burn myself cooking breakfast? Against my better judgement, I've been watching the news. Mainly to try and discern the opinions of my fellow U.S. citizens. I heard a statement one morning on the channel 13 (NBC) news out of Indianapolis. They were discussing increased security for the Colts home opener. One gentleman's statement was, verbatim mind you, "As long as we're safe, that's all that matters." No backpacks may be brought in, no food, no drinks. Women may only carry small purses. I find it to be very disheartening that we are willing to give up the freedoms we enjoy as United States citizens just because we want to be "safe." Everyone should bear in mind that 100 percent safety will never happen, no matter what government actions are taken.\nWe have declared war on a faceless enemy, and I am scared. Scared that everyone is so desperate to be safe that they are willing to give up simple liberties. I hope that when we're all walking around wearing orange jump suits with barcodes on the back of our necks that everyone enjoys their safety. P.S. How about God bless the world, instead of just "America." \nDan Box\nSophomore

Mistake to hire Cam\nWhen are you going to stop sugarcoating IU football and lay the blame for the pathetic performance where it belongs? Cam may be a model of a person, but the mistake was made five years ago when (former athletics director Clarence) Doninger hired him as a head coach. Cam had zero head-coaching experience and very little top-assistant experience. Coaches without experience cannot attract quality assistants and that transfers to recruiting. A four-year career of an outstanding talent in Randle El has been wasted. All this ill-conceived strategy of moving him around is the mark of an inexperienced, naive coach. \nFace up to the facts -- Start working NOW to attract an experienced head coach like Purdue did with (Joe) Tiller. Cam will have to be another of the "Five and Out" IU football coaches. \nJerry Anderson\nClass of 1954

Mark Price a needed voice for everyone\nDear Editor: I wish to applaud you and your paper for printing Mark Price's columns. In truth his writing is the reason why I log on to the IDS. His words are blunt, often caustic, and invariably honest. What a breath of fresh air in this double talking, euphemism invoking world. I was truly aghast when I discovered that your paper had stopped printing his articles. Your decision to include his weekly columns once again, has renewed my faith in your journalistic integrity. I believe that we have found something in Mark Price's voice that is both rare and precious in a world gone mad -- the truth.\nWhile I do not always agree with Mr. Price, I respect him. And, quite frankly, that is far more important.\nTeri A Herron\nGraduate student