Letters to the editor

Weaknesses and strengths stand out on terrorist backdrop Our nation is in mourning. Many feel helpless, and most have questions left unanswered. The attacks were terrible and unthinkable. We wonder how we can go back to the people we were. We can not. But we can use this tragedy like a Geiger-counter on our country, detecting both strengths and weaknesses. In the last couple days, I've heard daily discussions about racism; education funding vs. military spending. I've heard debates about politics and the world's perception of America vs. our own. The terrorists were very specific, attacking our symbol of giant wealth and our symbol of ironclad military power. We can take our sadness, our disbelief, our sense of helplessness and be equally precise: we can channel these feelings become engaged. We can pay closer attention to how the media covers the news, how close or how far other races and religions feel to us. We can scrutinize our politics more closely. The media talks about the "death of innocence." We can take this as an ending but we can also make it a beginning. We can change the way we go about our daily lives.

David Edward Ploskonka
Bloomington Resident
Humor appreciated after last week's dramatic events To Joe Grace: Your article, after having much sadness and recent chaos in our community because of the terrorist attacks Tuesday, made me laugh. I have to say that humor has always been something I turn to whenever I'm upset or sad about something (such as this) and I was very pleased to see that someone else can do/provide the same for our community. Many thanks for a laugh that was long overdue.
Nathan Scheller
Junior
Patriotism and liberty A basic tenant of America is liberty -- our nation is founded upon it. Liberty is freedom of choice and I stress to many people who seem fundamentally opposed to America's retaliation against Tuesday's Terrorists that they, by being a citizen of this country, have every right not to remain in this country. Personally, I'm tired of watching this institution for higher education cater to the lowest common denominator; this makes us weak and paranoid that ethics violations lurk around the corner if opinion is voiced against a real or perceived threat. I've seen students given free reign to voice their joy that America is "finally getting what they deserve" from terrorists. This was viewed as freedom of speech, but dissenting voices which were filled with incredulity at a disaster which had happened just hours earlier were drowned out as an attack against minorities. This is intolerable. The strength of this nation lies in our diversity. Resolve, however, is required to temper our differences in order to prosper because of them. All persons who choose to remain in this nation should defend it against all criminals both foreign and domestic. Whoever is fundamentally opposed to our government is allowed to dissent. I believe, also, that they are allowed to leave. Patriotism is something that should be had by all who willingly call the United States home. If you don't feel a strong bond, if not love for your "home," you should leave and find a new one. The people who think we deserved this terror should ask themselves why they are in this nation. If you believe that America should suffer, you probably don't have good reasons for staying here no matter your race, creed, color, nationality (especially if you were born here), or culture. Just as the IU population is demanded to accept others for their differences, IU should accept its role to create future leaders for this nation. We are a state operated institution and we should get our loyalties straight and not foster anti-patriotic sentiment.
Robert L. Oprisko
Senior
Honor and service As expected, Monday's edition of the IDS was filled with articles relating to last week's terrorist attacks on New York and Washington. Most of the articles were very informative and eloquently written, with many describing courageous acts of American spirit. One column, however, left me with an extremely bad taste in my mouth. The article, by columnist Gabriel Lewin, discussed the possibility of a draft. Mr. Lewin opposes the idea of a draft, claiming that forced military service would rob him of his freedom. "I am not a soldier," he wrote. "I am an artist..." While you are entitled to your views, Mr. Lewin, I believe there are some fundamental holes in your logic. You seemingly wish to enjoy full liberty, but are not willing to fight for it. Countless Americans have made untold sacrifices so that you and I can enjoy life as we know it. They paid the price for our freedom, and, if asked, I think we should be willing to do the same for future generations. Don't get me wrong, I'm not gung-ho about going to war. If this ordeal can be solved peacefully, we will all breathe a sigh of relief. However, if, a draft is deemed necessary by America's leaders, we should be honored to serve our country. Here's a suggestion, Mr. Lewin: ask a veteran of World War II, Korea, or Vietnam if they wanted to go to war. I bet you'll find out that many of them were artists, too.
Clint Taylor
Graduate Student
Freedom's defense demands courage and many sacrifices I was doing my every Monday, Wednesday, Friday walk to my W131 class in Sycamore Hall and out of the blue I see the words "Nationalism Equals Racism" on the side of a post and then again on the sidewalk. When I saw these words, I was awestruck. To the person who committed the indecent acts I have to say one thing: How dare you. This country has just suffered quite possibly one of the most tragic acts of violence that it has ever seen. I think you, sir or madam, are completely wrong in your accusations and you must as well be blind because if you turn on your television, or perhaps you do not own a television because you are too afraid to see that you are wrong, you will see people of many different walks of life helping others that are of different walks of life as well. In wondering how you could say such a thing, I tried to think of some very popular nationalist in American history. Martin Luther King Jr. delivered a speech in 1963 in Washington that we have all come to know as the"I have a dream" speech. In this speech, King says, "I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: 'We hold these truths to be self-evident; that all men are created equal.' This idea of "this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed" is clear evidence of nationalism. In saying that, I dare you sir or madam to say that King was racist because he also spoke of all people not just African Americans and other minorities. These acts that you have committed are not only selfish but tasteless. The people of America are working together to rebuild their great country because they have a great sense of nationalism. In calling those who believe in nationalism racists you shame the names of all those who have died in fighting for this great country. I ask you to please correct what you have done and do it quickly.
Paul York
Freshman
Draft misrepresented Thank You, and God bless America and its people. If you walked to Ballantine Monday morning you saw written on the sidewalk, "Avoid the draft, join the AFJ ROTC." In case you didn't know, there is no draft nor has there been any discussion of a draft. The ROTC was out of line to publish such a false statement. It was meant to boost enrollment in a governmental organization that helps defend the country. Apparently, false advertising is not something they study. Anyone who studies aspects of war or military activities knows it's deadly to assume anything. To assume that everyone will see the ROTC slogan as a joke is poor judgement. To use the draft fear to attempt to increase enrollment is unethical and just a flat out lie. When and if members of the AFJ ROTC have to fight for our country, give them guns -- not a piece of chalk.
Sarah Burton
Junior
Touching messages found at university Regarding Peter Smith's column in the IDS Friday, "This is not war," I want to thank him for expressing so well his intelligent, thoughtful views on a national tragedy. I was very moved by his statement and his Dissent with the remainder of the editorial staff, when he asked, "Why don't we need this kind of revenge? Because I am an American, not a terrorist." Here, here! There were other letters as well in Thursday's issue that were touching and well-stated; Matt Briddell who said more violence is not the answer; Erik Long who noted that, "we are all in this tragedy together;" and Dylan James who called for us all to unite and respond to help those most devastated by this heinous crime against humanity, he then quoted Bob Dylan, "Ring them bells for all of us who are left...." I am proud to be part of a community who can respond in this way
Nita Levison
Coordinator Diversity & International Programs, School of Education
Consider me the Public Enemy Never mind that President George W. Bush has called Osama bin Laden the "prime suspect" in the World Trade Center attacks. According to the Rev. Jerry Falwell, I am Public Enemy number 1. Rev. Falwell recently pointed the finger of blame for last Tuesday's attack at the ACLU, feminists and homosexuals, among other groups. I suppose that I and the rest of Bloomington's GLBT community should be expecting the FBI to show up at our doors any day now, then. Falwell's comments embarrassed his fellow seminarian, Rev. Pat Robertson, and also earned a disapproving phone call from Bush. Falwell quickly retracted his comments, although in my view his words should have never been spoken, or even thought for that matter. I think Falwell's comments can be in part attributed to the increase in anti-homosexual speech coming from various representatives of religious groups on campus over the last few days. Falwell's remarks are a lesson of hatred. The lesson we all need to learn from this tragedy is one of tolerance and understanding instead, or else we will be doomed to forever continue upon this cycle of destruction and hatred. Reverend Falwell, I accept your apology because I am willing to turn the other cheek. But I think that as a leader and a man who preaches a message of hate and intolerance to millions and millions of people around the world, the burden for this tragedy falls more squarely on YOUR shoulders than it does mine.
Matt Briddell
Sophomore