Knight suits net $300,000

Expenses drawn from litigation funds

IU has spent almost $300,000 to defend itself in two lawsuits alleging public access violations over the firing of former basketball coach Bob Knight. The fees bring the documented cost of Knight's firing to nearly $650,000.\nThe University has paid its lawyers $209,000 in a lawsuit brought by The Indianapolis Star, according to documents obtained from the University counsel's office Tuesday. Another lawsuit, brought by IU alumni, has cost the University $78,800. \nIU Spokesman Bill Stephan said the money comes from a litigation fund, made up of fees assessed to various University departments. Stephan said he didn't know how much money goes into the fund, but there is no concern the fund will run out.\nStephan said the University has no choice but to spend money, some of it taxpayer dollars, to defend its principles.\n"The principle we're trying to defend is when employees or students of the University are involved in communications or an investigation relating to some University issue, in this case coach Knight, we believe it is our responsibility to protect our employees' and students' communications," Stephan said.\nStephen Key, legal counsel for the Hoosier State Press Association, which agreed with The Star in its suit, said nobody can deny the University the right to defend itself, but said IU shouldn't be allowed to control the amount of information it releases.\n"The position the University has taken is that they should have the right to determine how much information from the personnel file should be available," Key said. "If that becomes the accepted practice in the state, you will see the public get less and less information."\nNancy Winkley, deputy managing editor for The Star, did not return a phone message Tuesday.\nThe Star filed its lawsuit in October 2000, claiming IU violated Indiana's Access to Public Records Act, which allows individuals and agencies the chance to review and copy public documents. The suit seeks open disclosure of Knight's personnel file. Special Judge Jane Spencer Craney sided with the University, but The Star has appealed her ruling.\nIn the alumni lawsuit, a group of 46 Knight supporters allege IU President Myles Brand violated Indiana's Open Door Laws when he fired Knight in September 2000. Brand consulted with two groups of four trustees before firing Knight.\nThe University maintains no quorum was present at any meeting with Brand, eliminating the need for public notice. A trial court ruled Brand had the sole authority to fire Knight, but an appeals court ruling will send the case to trial.\nThe costs of the two lawsuits, plus $340,000 to buy out Knight's contract and $19,000 to investigate whether Knight choked former player Neil Reed, bring the total documented cost of Knight's firing to $650,000. \nStephan said the University faced additional fees related to Knight's firing that can't be tallied, including IU employees who have devoted time to the issue as part of their job responsibilities and the cost of the IU Police Department's investigation into the Kent Harvey incident. \nThe University has also spent more than $60,000 in lawsuits brought by former assistant basketball coach Ron Felling, who blames IU for failing to control Knight.