Junior football player arrested

Young charged with rape

An IU football player has been charged with raping a 21-year old female he met at a Bloomington sports bar early Sunday.\nA plea of not guilty was entered for Clarence Young, 20, at his initial hearing Tuesday. Young faces a charge of class B felony rape, punishable by up to 20 years in jail.\nAccording to a jail spokesman, Young was released Monday evening for $500 cash bail on a $20,000 assurity bond.\nYoung's initial hearing has been set for August, said Monroe County Prosecutor Carl Salzmann.\nThe victim was at a bar with friends when she met Young, but she doesn't remember how she ended up at Young's apartment complex, according to police reports.\n"She remembers being dragged up the sidewalk at Jackson Heights," Salzmann said.\nAt the 17th Street apartment complex, Young allegedly took the victim into his apartment and sexually assaulted her in a bedroom, Salzmann said.\nAfter the incident, the victim called her sister, who called police.\nOfficers met the victim at Bloomington Hospital, where she was examined, Salzmann said. Young was arrested without incident Sunday afternoon.\nYoung will likely be suspended from the football team, whose season begins in September. He is a reserve defensive back.\nAccording to a portion of the athletic code of conduct, "... if the prosecuting attorney finds probable cause to file formal charges ... the student-athlete will initially be suspended from competition pending the resolution of the case."\nIU Athletics spokesman Jeff Fanter would only say that the athletics department would follow the athletic code of conduct in Young's case, as it does in all cases.\n"We're aware of the situation, but cannot comment, in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act," Fanter said.\nOriginally from Detroit, Young has been at IU for two years. \nLast year, nine forcible rapes were reported on the IU campus, according to IU Police Department Lt. Jerry Minger.\nIn all nine cases, the assailant was known by the victim, Minger said.\nSix rapes were reported to IUPD in 1999, and five were reported in 1998.\nMinger said the number of reported rapes has fluctuated from 3 to 10 throughout the years, but added that only 12 to 25 percent of rapes are reported nationally.