IU rebounds from slow start

The women's water polo team endured a long weekend, but had two victories on the final day of competition at the NoGrip Invitational in La Jolla, Calif.\nThe No. 17 Hoosiers started off the weekend with a warm-up to the Invitational. They battled No. 9 San Diego State. Junior Kristin Stanford led the Hoosiers with two goals, but they lost 10-4.\nOn Saturday, IU faced No. 7 Hawaii for the second time this season. IU started off strong,and trailed only by one at halftime, but lost 8-3. Senior goalie Kirsten Mayberry said little things hurt their performance.\n"We had a better game this time," Mayberry said. "It was some mistakes that hurt us."\nAfter that match, Stanford was taken to the UC-San Diego Medical Center after hurting her wrist. She sat out the second match of the day against UCSD.\nIn the second game, the Hoosier offense got a boost from sophomore Kristy Streefkerk who scored two goals. Still, No. 12 UCSD knocked off IU 9-5. Head coach Barry King was impressed with Streefkerk's performance.\n"She was pretty tough in that game," King said. "We've been trying to turn her into a defensive player but had to move her up because of injuries. The whole weekend was the best water polo she's played here."\nIU turned things around on the Sunday to win its first match of the season. Stanford returned to the line-up to score two goals on the way to a 5-4 victory over UC-Irvine. Senior Molly Fonner lead the Hoosiers with six steals.\n"We started slow (this weekend)," King said. "We didn't play our best water polo. We didn't play consistently through the games. Sunday we had good effort."\nIn their last match of the weekend, IU accomplished something it hadn't done since 1998 by shutting out No. 18 California-Baptist. IU won the match 7-0 with the help of two goals from Fonner and two from freshman Sharna Nelson. Mayberry credits the previous matches for the shutout.\n"The defense was all together," Mayberry said. "People were communicating. We took what we learned from the Hawaii and UCSD matches and played so good. They couldn't get the shots off that they wanted."\nFreshman Jessica Goldner was in goal for the second half to seal the shut out. Streefkerk said the team had something to prove.\n"We got beat by them bad last year," she said. "We had to show them how far we've come since them and we did."\nIU's record stands at 2-6. The Hoosiers are back in action again next Saturday and Sunday at the Princeton Invite.