Hoosiers to face Iowa, Notre Dame at home

Team optimistic despite losses, look for improvement

In athletics, some say the way to become the best is to play the best. The IU men's tennis team will get that chance Saturday against in-state perennial power Notre Dame.\nAfter losing their last three matches, and five of the past six, the Hoosiers have the daunting task of facing the No. 7 Fighting Irish in addition to conference foe Iowa. \nIU (6-6, 0-1 Big Ten) faces Notre Dame Saturday at noon and Iowa Sunday at noon at the Varsity Tennis Courts.\nNotre Dame lost to IU 4-3 last season in South Bend. That loss could linger in the minds of the Irish (15-4) and make a difficult task for the Hoosiers an impossible one. Despite that, Coach Ken Hydinger is optimistic about the match with the highly regarded Irish.\n"It's like gambling with someone else's money," Hydinger said. "We've got nothing to lose. It's an opportunity, and we think we can win."\nNotre Dame is traditionally known for having a very strong men's tennis program, and the Hoosiers are 23-36 all-time vs. the Irish. Freshman Ryan Recht, a native of Fort Wayne, admits the upcoming matches will be challenging for IU. \n"They will be fired up," he said. "It will be really tough. It will be a good test for us." \nHydinger is also aware of the Fighting Irish's talent.\n"(Notre Dame is) a good team with some really talented players. They have good student-athletes and don't sacrifice their values for wins," Hydinger said. "I have the utmost respect for their program."\nIU is led by a senior and freshman this spring. Senior Milan Rakvica, who has played at the No. 1 position all season, climbed to No. 6 on IU's career singles win list in his last victory. He's tied with Paul Jacobson with 86 career victories. Hydinger said accomplishing that feat playing three years at the No. 1 position is very hard to do. \nRakvica is a mere two wins from tying the fifth-place career singles wins holder with 88. He is 7-5 in spring singles and 13-9 overall. \nIn addition to Rakvica, freshman Jakub Praibis has played skillfully. He has won nine consecutive matches beginning Jan. 29 against Ball State. He is 11-1 in spring singles and 6-5 in doubles. Praibis arguably has been the most consistent player on the team this spring, mostly playing at the No. 2 position. \n"There's balance in everything he does," Hydinger said. "In his game there's balance. In his emotions there's balance. There hasn't been one part of his game that's been the best during the winning streak."\nIt is unknown whether senior Rahman Smiley will play this weekend. He has been suffering from a chronic back injury and hasn't played in the last three matches. \nWith or without Smiley, IU looks to improve to 1-1 in the Big Ten Sunday. Iowa (8-3, 0-0) will come to Bloomington after tangling with Purdue Saturday in West Lafayette. Last season in the Big Ten Tournament, IU defeated the Hawkeyes 4-3. During the regular season it was the same result with the Hoosiers victorious in Iowa City, Iowa. \n"In the Big Ten, they are all important. Big Ten is Big Ten. We cannot overlook anybody in the Big Ten," said Hydinger, whose Hoosiers hold a 45-13 all-time mark against Iowa. "It's a 60-yard dash and a race to the finish line"