Hoosiers hang close but fall to N.C. State

3-point advantage disappears as team is shut out in final 2:40

The women's basketball team kept up with its second top 10 foe in a week. But yet again the Hoosiers couldn't manage an upset as IU (1-2) stumbled 50-44 to No. 10 North Carolina State Friday at Assembly Hall.\nIU failed to score in the final 2:40 minutes after senior center Jill Chapman pulled her team ahead 44-41. She fouled out with 1:41 remaining.\nWith the score tied at 44-44 and 40 seconds remaining, forward Adeola Olanrewaju hit a big shot for the Wolfpack (4-0). The basket was Olanrewaju's only field goal of the night.\n"I really thought that her shot was off," said coach Kathi Bennett, whose Hoosiers fell 87-72 to Stanford Nov. 16. "We had it defended well, but it just went in for her."\nThe Hoosiers passed the ball to senior forward Erin McGinnis on the next possession, but N.C. State forward Carisse Moody rebounded McGinnis's missed shot. IU then was forced to foul, and the Wolfpack completed all four of its free throw attempts, sealing the victory in the final 21 seconds.\nThe Hoosiers had to challenge without starting point guard junior Kristen Bodine, who left the game early in the first half with a twisted knee.\nChapman led the Hoosiers with 15 points and 11 rebounds. Senior guard Heather Cassady tallied 11 points as six Hoosiers scored. After scoring 20 points against No. 9 Stanford and 20 points against Western Kentucky, McGinnis was limited to eight points against N.C. State. She and other starting forward senior Tara Jones combined for 13 points on 4-of-29 shooting.\nThe lone double-figure scorer for N.C. State was forward Kelly Greathouse with 12 points and seven rebounds. Moody added nine points and forward Amy Simpson contributed seven points.\nThe Hoosiers commanded the boards with 47 rebounds to the Wolfpack's 40. But N.C. State held IU to 25 percent shooting (16-of-63). The Wolfpack shot 34 percent (18-of-53).\nIU jumped to an early 10-2 lead after Moody got into early foul trouble guarding McGinnis. The Hoosiers led 24-19 at halftime, but the Wolfpack opened the second half with a 13-0 run to take a 31-24 lead. IU then held N.C. State scoreless for the next eight minutes to take a 35-31 lead.\nEach team shot 28.6 percent (4-of-14) from three-point range and committed 22 turnovers.\n"They are a good defensive team," McGinnis said. "We had some open looks but couldn't finish. It was more our offense and not their defense"