Hamdan enjoying 2-sport schedule, success

Gibran Hamdan has done a remarkable job balancing his schedule in his four-year stay at IU. \nThe 6-foot-5, 225-pound senior is batting .357 with three home runs, eight doubles and 19 RBIs while providing strong defense at first base for an IU baseball team that's tied for the Big Ten lead. He is also participating in spring practice for the football team, taking the majority of the snaps at quarterback along with fellow senior Tommy Jones. On top of all of this, he's a business major who's considering business graduate school after he graduates in December. \n"It's been a unique advantage playing two sports at such a good school," Hamdan said. "Few people are afforded this opportunity. The bonds and relationships I've formed with both teams have been great. \n"It's been tough too. In a lot of ways, it hasn't been a normal college experience because I've been so busy. But it definitely has its advantages. I've seen a lot of the country the past four years."\nSenior shortstop Eric Blakeley said he thinks Hamdan is major reason the Hoosiers 20-4 and 3-1 in the Big Ten this season.\n"He's a good team leader," Blakeley said. "Whenever we need somebody to step up and take control, he's usually there."\nCase in point: Hamdan's grand slam to give the Hoosiers a lead against Wright State. The Hoosiers went on to score nine more runs in that inning after the opposite-field shot. Hamdan hit another opposite-field shot in the Hoosiers' first Big Ten game against Illinois. The two-run shot was hit off last year's Big Ten Pitcher of the Year, senior Andy Dickinson. Although the Hoosiers fell short in their rally that game, losing 6-4, Hamdan helped show they can hit one of the nation's best pitchers.\nHamdan gets another chance to flex his offensive muscle when the Hoosiers travel to Indiana State today for a 6:30 p.m. game. The Sycamores are 10-9 and 5-3 in the Missouri Valley Conference.\n"Gibran's really improved offensively," Coach Bob Morgan said. "Last year was his coming-out year for us. He ended up hitting .300. This year he's even better offensively. He's been hot, and he has good power at the plate. When he doesn't try to do too much, he's been a real good hitter for us." \nHamdan was recruited by Morgan and former football coach Cam Cameron. \n"Cam helped me learn a lot of things about life," Hamdan said. "It was very hard to see him go. Change is difficult, but I've been very impressed with coach (Gerry) DiNardo."\nAfter graduation, Hamdan plans to test the job market with his business degree while earning his masters. He would like to eventually be a general manager or a director of player personnel in one or both of the sports he loves.\n"He's the prime example of a student-athlete," Morgan said. "He brings a lot to our team. He's a good kid, and we've seen him grow and mature for us every year. Hopefully this will be his finest year for us"