Doubles tennis team plays for national title

Tuesday the doubles tennis team of junior Karie Schlukebir and sophomore Linda Tran will try to put the finishing touches on a season that just keeps getting better.\nStrong down the stretch, the women's tennis duo -- that has amassed an overall record of 34-9 and won its last 14 straight matches -- will become only the 20th doubles team in school history to compete on the national stage.\nUnseeded and unbeaten since March 9, the two hope to keep the ball rolling with a good draw and a combination of confidence and strategy.\n"I never go out there thinking I'm going to lose," Schlukebir said. \nTran added that confidence has propelled the duo to its highest level of performance, especially down the stretch. "Our attitude going onto the court is one of confidence," Tran said.\nAs for their strategy, it has its roots in team chemistry and manifests itself with complimentary play. Both from Michigan, Schlukebir and Tran have known each other for over 10 years, even facing off a few times in their prep careers. Each knows the others' strengths and weaknesses, making it easier to communicate and cover the court.\nThe proven court coverage, combined with a polished finesse game should make the team dangerous adversaries for opponents in the 32-team field that meets in Palo Alto, Calif. The nation's top doubles teams will battle for eight All-American spots and the crowning-honor of best team in the land.\n"They (Schlukebir and Tran) can definitely beat any seeded teams," coach Lin Loring said. He said that he hopes they can get a good draw -- one in which they would not face a seeded team first round -- but no matter what they "won't get out-doubled or out-finessed."\n"Their toughest match-up would be an overpowering serve," Loring said.\nBut doubts were few and far between for Schlukebir and Tran as they readied for their first nationals appearance. While they said they were disappointed with their team's Regional performance in Nashville, they weren't doubting their own shot at national honors.\nFor a team that always sits in the same chairs -- Schlukebir closest to opponents and Tran on the seat furthest from them -- and commonly requests to play with the ball they last pointed with, winning has become a routine, both familiar and natural.\n"Depending on the draw, I think we can do really well," Tran said. "Be All-American by the end of the weekend"