world

DNA test leads police to suspect

California man linked to 5-year-old's kidnapping, murder

STANTON, Calif. -- DNA evidence found on the body of 5-year-old Samantha Runnion matches that of the man arrested in her killing, The Associated Press learned Saturday.\nA source close to the investigation, who declined to be identified, confirmed a report in the Los Angeles Times Saturday that DNA discovered on the girl's body matched that of Alejandro Avila. The source would not elaborate on the type of genetic material used for the match.\nSpokesman Jim Amormino, of the Orange County Sheriff's Department, would not confirm or deny the report, but said authorities were "100 percent sure we have the right man."\nAvila, 27, was arrested Friday for investigation of kidnapping and killing the girl. He has denied the charges and says he was at a shopping mall Monday when the girl was abducted. His sister, 22-year-old Elvira Avila, told the Orange County Register that he unexpectedly missed a family dinner Monday night, when Samantha was kidnapped.\nThe district attorney was expected to file formal charges by Tuesday.\nSamantha was playing with a 5-year-old friend just yards from her home when a man, using the ruse of looking for a lost puppy, lured her close enough to grab her and carry her away kicking and screaming.\nHer body was found Tuesday about 10 miles from Avila's home. The suspect was put under surveillance Wednesday after police got a tip.\nHushed mourners gathered Saturday at an impromptu memorial in the courtyard of the townhome complex where Samantha lived. Tables overflowed with flowers, balloons, cards and stuffed animals.\nSamantha's mother ended nearly four days of seclusion to thank the mourners.\n"We will have a service as soon as we can. It has to be perfect. I'm sure you can understand," she said between tears. "So thank you. It really has been helpful."\nSome of the visitors to the memorial expressed fear. "If there's one, there will be another," said Kathleen Siliuta, 30, who brought her 6-year-old daughter, Alexis, to see the memorial.\nJuan Rivera, 36, also brought his daughter, Arias, 7. "I wanted to bring her to see you've got to be careful," he said.\n"I have to scream and run" if attacked, the girl said.