Coach shuffles swimmers, still finds success

Heading into their team's dual meet against Ohio State, IU women's swimming head coach Dorsey Tierney was looking for depth within her squad. In order to establish depth, Tierney changed the lineup of events in which many of the swimmers competed.\n"It made everyone a little more excited since they weren't necessarily swimming in their best events, to show that they could step up and be more versatile," freshman Erin Smith said of Tierney's lineup adjustments.\nThe Hoosier swimmers responded positively to their coach's decisions and defeated the Buckeyes 171-69. The victory moves the No. 20 Hoosiers to 3-0-1 and 2-0-1 in Big Ten duals. Ohio State falls to 2-6 and 0-3.\nSenior Susan Woessner and juniors Megan Geers, Tina Gretlund and Anne Williams opened the meet with a season-best time of 3:48.82 in the 400-yard medley relay, and the Hoosiers never looked back. IU was victorious in 10 of the meet's 11 swimming events, only losing the 400-yard freestyle relay. The Hoosiers did have the fastest two times in the 400-yard free relay, but all of IU's teams were swimming in exhibition in that event.\n Smith and Williams led the Hoosiers with two individual victories each. Smith's wins came in the 200-yard freestyle, with a time of 1:52.38, and the 200-yard butterfly, where she swam a personal best 2:03.03. \n Williams' victories came in the 50-yard free and 100-yard free. Her time of 51.69 in the 100-free is a team season best and a boost for Williams, Tierney said.\n"(Williams) had never been under 52 seconds un-rested before," Tierney said. "We were able to get her there, and that is a huge confidence builder for her."\nGretlund was victorious in the 200-yard individual medley, with a time of 2:05.72. She also swam in the 200-yard backstroke, an event she normally doesn't compete in, and placed second behind junior teammate Colleen McCracken. Sophomore Brooke Taflinger won the 1650-yard freestyle, an event not typical for her, with a time of 17:02.03.\nTierney was especially pleased with the races of Gretlund, Taflinger, juniors Kristy Martin and Maggie Helmers and sophomore Erin Gorlesky, all who are strong in the 400-yard IM. What impressed Tierney, though, were their swims at the 200-yard length in the individual strokes. The versatility of those swimmers, along with the overall team output in the first meet after winter break, has Tierney pleased as the Hoosiers prepare for the championship meets later in the spring.\n"It was very nice to see some people in different events," Tierney said. "This is by far the best we have been after Christmas training. It really helps being at home and not having to travel."\nWhile the IU swimmers dominated the pool, the Hoosier divers displayed their abilities on the springboards. The divers followed suit from the swimmers to sweep both the one- and three-meter events.\nJunior Sara Reiling won the three-meter competition with a total score of 320.40, while senior Erin Quinn finished second, posting a score of 313.80. Junior Crystal Gregory gave the Hoosiers three out of the top four finishers, with a score of 269.03, and a fourth-place finish.\nQuinn came back to win the one-meter event by putting up a score of 297.38. Sophomore Cassandra Cardinell finished with a score of 280.20, good enough for second place. Junior Jennifer Sonneborn rounded out a one-two-three finish for the Hoosiers by posting a 270.03 score.\nQuinn, who missed training from August through November of last year with an injury and student teaching, is returning to top form for the Hoosiers. She said although her individual performance isn't where it was last year, the team is steadily getting better.\n"Today went pretty well considering everyone is pretty tired from training," Quinn said. "I am a little bit behind (where I was last year). Hopefully in the next month, I will get back to where I was, but as a team we are doing really well."\nHead diving coach Jeff Huber said he has had to work with Quinn to keep from trying too hard in her comeback.\n"(Quinn) has been frustrated with where her diving has been," Huber said. "I keep reminding her to take it easy, because if she tries to force it, she will come back slower. This is the best she has looked on both boards so far, but it is certainly not where she wants to be."\nThe Hoosiers will return to action in the Counsilman/Billingsley Aquatics Center Jan. 19 at 1 p.m. against Big Ten and in-state rival No. 21 Purdue.