Cast enthusiasm saves 'Jesus Christ Superstar'

Do you know what makes me enjoy a performance no matter what? It is seeing the joy of performing on the players' faces. Even if a show is completely mediocre, as long as the actors look like they are having a fantastic time, I'm sold. \nI would not call the Bloomington Music Works production of "Jesus Christ Superstar" mediocre, but it does have its share of problems. But there is an energy which sparkles through this mostly youthful cast that sells the show.\nMost fans of musical theater are familiar with this jewel in Andrew Lloyd Webber's canon. Unlike his overly pretentious work of the late 1980s and early 1990s, "JCS" has a catchy score and thoughtful lyrics, which make it a real treat to watch. It also contains a few of the most tragic and touching characters in any of Webber's oeuvre. \nThe most important, of course, is Christ himself, whose struggle between humanity and divinity unfolds in the shadow of his impending doom. \nThere is also Mary Magdalene, whose quiet love for Jesus goes a bit beyond the spiritual and enters the realm of secular. Then there is poor Judas, who can never get past the inconsistencies of Jesus' being able to see him for who he truly is.\nThese three parts are the core of the show, and if the performers fail at them, then theoretically, the show will fail as well. \nSadly, only one performer lives up to her part; Mary Armstrong Rogers as Mary. With a strong singing voice and a soulful face, her performance embodies the pain and silent desperation Mary feels for Jesus. With a part such as Mary's, there is always the danger that it will degenerate into melodrama. Thankfully, Rogers never does.\nPatrick Schuette and Mark McLaughlin, who play Jesus and Judas, respectively, also never degenerate into melodrama -- however, they never really create any drama with their performances, either. Schuette's Jesus never seems like the charismatic leader we all know he should be, and McLaughlin's Judas simply stews when he should boil. \nBoth performers are vocally fit for their roles, though -- in fact, McLaughlin has an amazingly rich voice with a strong presence. The problem is both McLaughlin and Schuette subscribe to the method of acting which relies more on hand gestures to emote than actual emotions.\nThese quibbles aside, the rest of the cast shines. The Priests, Pilate, King Herod, Simon, Peter, the apostles and the "apostlettes" all appear to be having a blast with their parts. Their performances are joyful and provide a rich atmosphere to fill the emotional gaps left by the two leads. Numbers such as "What's the Buzz," "Simon Zealotes" and "The Last Supper" work because the chorus throw themselves completely into their performances.\nMuch of this energy and exuberance can be attributed to the choreography by Matt Wisely. The dance numbers are not particularly complex, but they are fun to watch. The cast is always smiling while doing the steps and having a good time. \nAll this joyful singing and dancing culminates in Judas' final number and the title song, "Superstar." This number symbolizes the ensemble nature of the production, and the reason for its success. McLaughlin's beautiful voice carries the song with gusto and the orchestra plays the pop-rock score with absolute enthusiasm. The chorus dance and sing their hearts out to Wisely's choreography, which moves the cast around so much that at some point every single person has a chance to strut their stuff at the front of the stage. \nNo one onstage is more important than anyone else, and no one seems to mind. They are all just extremely happy to be performing for the audience. By the end, I was grateful to have them there as well.\n"Jesus Christ Superstar" is playing at the Buskirk-Chumley Theatre, 114 E. Kirkwood Ave., at 8 p.m. Oct. 17-20. To reserve tickets, call TIS Music Shop at 339-1428.