California trip unsuccessful for IU

Women's volleyball goes 1-2 over weekend

The women's volleyball team returned home from California Sunday with one win and two losses to add to their record, now 2-4, after playing three matches in the Loyola Marymount Volleyball Classic Friday and Saturday. \nThe Hoosier's beginning match Friday evening against host Loyola Marymount was a strong start for IU, who won the first game of the match against the Lions.\nSophomore Katie Pollom recorded three kills and four blocks in the first game and finished the night with nine overall. The next three games of the match didn't look good for the Hoosiers, who fell to LMU 30-21, 30-28, 30-20.\nJunior Kristin Gallup led LMU with a double-double. She had 21 kills and 10 digs, and sophomore Melissa Brewer added 10 kills for IU. \nThe next day looked bright for the Hoosiers as they were set to play Arizona State in the morning session. The Hoosiers lost in three games to the Sun Devils 30-27, 30-17, 30-20. Freshman Christina Archibald and Brewer played well despite the loss, tallying seven kills each. Brewer also added six blocks. Junior Jami Coughlin led ASU with a double-double, having 13 kills and 16 digs.\nThe final match Saturday paired IU against New Mexico and proved the Hoosiers can bounce back after a loss. \nThey downed the Lobos in four games: 30-20, 30-19, 27-30, 30-24. Sophomore Nikki Hill led the team with 15 kills and Brewer recorded her first double-double of the season with 11 kills and 12 digs. \nThe tournament ended with ASU taking first place honors, host LMU in second place, IU with their second third place tournament finish of the season and New Mexico rounding out the competition in fourth place.\nThe LMU Volleyball Classic All-Tournament team selections went to Anna Reines of New Mexico; Dina DeBernardi and Nicole Oehlman of LMU; Jodi Smith of ASU; the 2001 LMU Volleyball Classic MVP award went to Julia Leddy of ASU. Brewer made her second all tournament team appearance of the season, after being named to the Blimpie/Holiday Inn Classic tournament team. \nIU's next competition is at St. Louis University on Tuesday September 11. St. Louis is 2-5.