Blakeley closes out great career

Coach Bob Morgan said at the beginning of the season that improved defensive play up the middle would be a major reason why this year's IU team (28-12, 9-8 in Big Ten) is better than last year's squad (24-31-1, 7-19 Big Ten). It starts out with senior Eric Blakeley, who's been providing consistent play at shortstop the four years he's been here. \n"Eric's a great young man," Morgan said. "He's really come into his own the last couple of years. He has good work habits. He's gotten bigger and stronger from hard work in the weight room. He'll have a chance to take it to the next level and play professionally."\nNewcomers Jay Brant, a freshman second baseman, and Kennard Jones, a junior centerfielder, have improved the defense up the middle with the help of Blakeley.\n"He's a leader out there," Jones said. "He has a lot of experience."\nBlakeley has started every game this year, and he's having the best season of his career. He's hitting .346 with eight home runs, 47 RBIs and nine steals. He's been one of the best clutch hitters for the Hoosiers all season. In the first Big Ten series against Illinois, he hit a three-run home run in the last game to win the series for IU. He also had a game-winning single against Ohio State to get the lone Hoosier win that series.\n"I love the experience of playing against good competition," Blakeley said. "The Big Ten is a good baseball conference. Every Big Ten series is a battle, and I like the idea of having to take chances against good competition to become successful in the end."\nHe's also coming across several career milestones this year. He scored his 100th run in a 4-0 victory over Illinois. He knocked in his 100th career RBI this season on a home run in a 14-11 defeat to Ohio State. He's 19th all-time in career hits at IU with 168, and 18th all-time in steals with 34.\n"Coach Morgan has led me to be the player I am now through the discipline he stresses and pushing me to limits I had never been to before," Blakeley said. "He's helped me mature as a person."\nBlakeley is also an excellent student. The sports marketing major has a 3.6 GPA, and was named Academic All-Big Ten his sophomore season.\n"It feels good to be recognized for things you do off the field," he said. "I take pride in what I do and grades are just one of the things I like to be successful in."\nAfter graduation he plans to pursue his baseball career before he gets involved in the sporting industry.\n"It has been my dream to play professional baseball ever since I began playing when I was five," he said. "Playing pro-ball would be a dream come true."\nThis weekend he and the rest of the IU seniors will play their last home series when they host Penn State in a four game stint. Game one is Saturday at 3 p.m.; Sunday is a doubleheader that begins at 1 p.m.; and Monday is the series finale that starts at 1 p.m.