Around The Game

Davis to be honored at annual luncheon\nIU men's basketball head coach Mike Davis joined the likes of Dr. Woodrow Myers (Indiana State Health Commissioner), Louis J. Gossett Jr. (entertainer) and Governor B. Evan Bayh when he accepted the Carolyn Brown Mosby Above and Beyond Award at the Indiana Black Expo's annual Corporate Luncheon Thursday.\nThe award represents ongoing commitment of an individual to serve humanity. The award recognizes a person, who through strength, endurance and self-determination, has persevered to conquer the unimaginable according to a press release.\n"I am honored and humbled to receive such an award from such a fine and well respected organization," Davis said in a press release.\nSophomore Jeffries withdraws from Team USA\nSophomore forward Jared Jeffries of the men's basketball team withdrew his name from contention for the 2001 Team USA Basketball World Championship team for young men. Instead, Jeffries will stay in Bloomington to prepare for the upcoming 2001-2002 basketball season. \n"I decided I wanted to remain close to Bloomington in order to practice with my teammates and continue my workouts," Jeffries said in a press release. "I think the hard work the guys are putting in (during) the off season is really going to show next year."\nVolleyball adds local standout\nBloomington native and North High School star Disney Bronnenberg has transferred from Kansas State to IU and will compete with the volleyball team in the 2001 season. \nThe 5'9" setter posted an NCAA record 15.54 assists per game average as a freshman. Bronnenberg also holds the single-season record for assists at Kansas State with 1,694 assists.\nShe was a First-Team All-Big 12 selection as a sophomore and Honorable Mention All-Big 12 as a junior. Last season Bronnenberg helped lead the Wildcats to a Sweet 16 appearance in the NCAA tournament and a No. 16 final ranking.\n"Disney will be a quick learner regarding the Big Ten teams and their tendencies," coach Katie Weismiller said in a press release. "She will make the team better immediately from challenging for a starting spot to the confidence and leadership she brings into the program."\nCameron to speak at South Bend luncheon series\nIU head football coach Cam Cameron will join Notre Dame head coach Bob Davie, Ball State head coach Bill Lynch, and Purdue assistant Danny Hope as speakers at the Key Bank Gridiron Legends Luncheon Series at the College Football Hall of Fame in South Bend, Ind. \nThe luncheon is to be held Wednesday, July 25 at the Century Center across the street from the Hall of Fame. Individual tickets and tables of eight for adults are on sale for $25 and $190, respectively.