Armstrong wins 3rd straight Tour

America should be proud

About the time people here in America were waking up from a nice deep sleep Sunday morning, halfway across the globe, a fellow American was accomplishing something monumental. Lance Armstrong was crossing the finish line in the final stage of the Tour de France as the champion for the third year in a row -- the first time any American had ever accomplished such a feat. \nFor those that aren't familiar, the Tour de France is like the Super Bowl of bicycling. It starts out with a time trial and then goes on for 20 consecutive stages before its conclusion. The race tours the French countryside, from the flats to the mountains, including some time spent in the Alps. The tour ends up in Paris, by the famed Champs-Elysees. For all the riders in the world, this is the event they train for during the year. It is actually more prestigious than an Olympic medal. \nArmstrong's victory this year was quite impressive. He didn't win any stages until the 10th stage, falling back all the way to 22nd place at one point. Riders and fans throughout the world thought this might be the year that Armstrong gives up his title, but with the 10th stage being the start of the mountains, Armstrong was in his element. \nArmstrong picked up time in leaps and bounds, and by the end of the 13th stage, Armstrong had gained a lead that he would never relinquish. In doing so, he became the first American to ever win three Tours in a row, and just the second American ever to win three Tours. Armstrong has his sights set on other things though, hoping to attain the mark of five straight victories held by Miguel Indurain of Spain. \nWhile maintaining his edge for two years could be difficult, especially when one must consider the possibilities of injuries, you get the feeling that Armstrong can actually do it. That probably is because Armstrong was able to overcome testicular cancer, and an advanced case of it at that. \nComing up in October, it will mark the five-year anniversary of the diagnosis of Armstrong's cancer, that was so severe that it had spread to his lungs and brain. Yet, through surgery and chemotherapy, he has been able to beat it, and if you ask any cancer patient, if you make the five year anniversary and are still cancer-free, chances are you are going to make it. \nSo, on this day after his victory, Armstrong stands as a person of high admiration in the American populace, and he should be celebrated. Not only for dominating his sport for three years in a row, but also for battling and surviving one of the most deadly diseases of our time.