A community 'in step'

'Dance in Unison' brings various dance groups together

Iris Rosa's energy is contagious, especially when the subject of dancing comes up. Her graceful hands help in telling a story, and her soft brown eyes sparkle with excitement for the future. For Rosa, associate professor in the Department of African American Studies, dancing is not just a hobby; it's a part of someone. \nAs one of the speakers for tonight's "Dance In Unison," Rosa will try to impress upon the audience "the importance of dance coming together in one place." All groups involved with "Dance In Unison" will participate because of their shared understanding of the importance of expression through dance.\nAs part of the preview performances for IU's 18th Annual Arts Week, 13 different dance troupes and individuals from both the Bloomington community and the University will come together to perform just a snippet of their different styles. Among the different dance forms to be represented tonight will be a flamenco ensemble, tap, jazz and Middle Eastern.\n"Dance In Unison" is the result of Valerie Lambert's idea of pulling together the many different dance companies and resources that Bloomington has to offer. As a first-year graduate student in the Department of Anthropology, Lambert has tied together her passion for dance and the performing arts with developmental anthropology.\n"(There are) so many different styles of dancing and cultural expression and I think it's a shame that they are presented separately," Lambert said.\nArmed with a portion of the little-known Fran Snygg Award, a fund to develop and enhance awareness and appreciation of dance as a performing art, Lambert started to contact the dancers. Among the first contacted was Rosa, director of the African American Dance Company. As one of the original instructors from the inception of the African American Arts Institute in 1974, Rosa said she has noticed that the separation of different dance classes among various departments has hindered more than it's helped prospective students interested in dance.\nRosa said she believes "Dance In Unison" will be beneficial, giving people an idea of all the different offerings on campus as well as a view of what is off campus, and allowing "the dancers themselves to see each other and appreciate other forms." \nBy having an underlying feeling of collaboration rather than competition, their passion for dance will shine through. Along with other groups, the African American Dance Company, a one-credit audition-required course, will be performing in this event with Bloomington's Windfall Dancers.\nStarting out in 1978 as a modern dance troupe drifting from one studio to another, Windfall Dancers has expanded to teaching classes from hip hop to ballet in its studio on Fourth Street and College Avenue.\nBy not being a part of any IU dance program, Windfall Dancers is in the unique position to offer classes to everyone in the community who have all levels of experience. A main goal is "to offer everyone dance no matter size or shape," Windfall choreographer Matthew Wisley said. The Company will perform two modern pieces including a rave-dance choreography tonight.\nYet a group does not need to be totally independent from the University to have steady involvement with the community. The IU Ballroom Dance Club is listed as a club sport and for the past 13 years has taught students and non-students alike. Of the estimated 100 members, 30 percent are non-students who come out Friday nights for lessons, exercise and fun. \nRobin Mock, Ballroom Dance Club president, said she will uphold an ideal of the group "to show and share our love and expression for dance" by sending a dance team from the competition group to perform a swing/fox-trot and a cha-cha.\nAlong with various performances, "Dance In Unison" will also provide a chance for speakers from different departments on campus and around town to express their views on the importance of dance in all walks and times of life.\n"Dance is the most primal form of communication," Lambert said. \nAnd tonight, students will be able to see their passion.