How you can change the world

Goodbye.\nThis is my last column for the Indiana Daily Student. It has been a privilege to write for you over the past three years. Thank you for reading. \nAnd now, let me quickly tell you how to change the world. \nI know. It sounds arrogant, coming from a 22-year-old who can't change a tire. I'm going to tell you how to change the world? Absolutely.\nBecause we all have hunches that we hide, about what works and what doesn't. Because it's trendy to believe that we can't change the world. Because the world mostly changes in frustratingly slow, small steps, and it's easy to lose hope. \nBecause I have about 300 words left in this paper. \nHere's the deal.\nFirst off, even though you're not Einstein or a Bush, you have power. You're reading this, which means you're literate, and therefore one step ahead of the game. I'm also assuming that you don't have diphtheria, rickets or severe malnutrition. See? You're in a more powerful position than most of the people in the world.\nHeck, you've probably got access to the Internet, a good library and a decent education. That's it. You have no excuse not to change the world.\nNext guideline: Your talent does matter. Artists, plumbers and professors can all change the world, one way or another.\nNow remember, it's a tall order, but not an impossibly tall one. You won't see the results of your work instantly. If you are changing the world by raising a kind, tolerant child, then you'll have to wait years to see if things pan out. The same is true for curing cancer. I'm not sure which is more difficult, but both are worth trying. Don't be thrown off course by the slow going.\nAnother important rule: Smile. Smile a lot, and if someone tells you your smile isn't sincere, tell them you enjoy smiling too much to worry about being insincere. If you worry about being sincere, you will risk false sincerity, and that's deadly.\nOn the same note, be kind. And don't apologize, unless it will really help. If you make a mistake, fix it. "I'm sorry" is of limited usefulness.\nRemember that injustice tastes bad. Spit it out, and don't be that guy who says, "This is awful. Try some." Instead, let people know about it. At the risk of being annoying, keep speaking out against an injustice until it stops, even though you may start to sound repetitive. For example, "There are no women faculty members in the Theater and Drama Department... there are no women faculty members in the Theater and Drama Department..."\nSome battles may seem hopeless, and you will have to decide when to fight and when to fold. Remember that at one point in his life, Harry Truman sold hats. If he didn't give up, then you should at least think twice about it.\nOn the other hand, learn how to say goodbye. It's hard, especially saying goodbye to someone or something you love. But it can be wonderful. I lost my father eight years ago and I still say goodbye to him every day. When you say goodbye, your soul gets a little older and a little stronger. Saying goodbye reminds us everything is fleeting, even we will die someday, and we should enjoy sunny breezes, flowers just before the frost and meals with family and friends.\nThis is what gives us the strength to change the world, to help more people to stop struggling through the struggle of life and to start enjoying the struggle through life. \nGoodbye.