High school, college, professional talent collides at Texas Relays this weekend

Men, women face tough field at 75th annual tournament

The Indiana men's and women's track and field teams are participating in the 75th annual Texas Relays this weekend at the University of Texas. The meet will feature top collegiate talent from around the country, with between 80 and 100 schools represented. \nTop high school and professional talent will participate as well. Two-time Olympic champion and world-record holder Maurice Greene will be one of the professional athletes running. Also running are John Drummond, Allen Johnson and Terrence Trammell.\nAbout 14 to 15 Hoosiers will compete for the men and see where the team is at and how much individuals have improved since the first meet at Arizona State a few weeks ago. Coach Marshall Goss said he expects the team to be close to top form. \n"We just went through one of the hardest practices of the season, so we are not tapering at the present time," Goss said. "We are expecting them to be coming into their prime."\nOne of the athletes competing this weekend for the men is freshman long jumper Aarik Wilson. He finished fourth in the NCAA championships, but he will most likely only triple jump this weekend. Wilson will be jumping with a broken finger, an injury that occurred when he got back from the Florida meet last weekend.\n"The cast is light. When I jump I don't even think about it," Wilson said. "I only think about it when I am jogging when it moves." \nThe women's team also gets a chance to compete this weekend. \n"It is another meet for us," Sprint coach Ed Beathea said. "It is an opportunity for us to run fast in the third weekend meet of the season. There is no one team down there we are trying to beat as much as we are trying to improve our times." \nThe women would like to earn some automatic qualifying times but will not be terribly disappointed if that doesn't happen. This meet is mostly relays because of the limited amount of individual entries. \n"If they happen that's great," Beathea said. "It is hard to say on relays because you are counting on four athletes to show up, and that is tough"