Baseball falls 5-4

After a successful weekend taking three out of four games against Big Ten opponent Illinois, the IU baseball team headed to Indiana State to take on the Sycamores. The team was unable to carry the momentum of the weekend into Wednesday night's game and fell 5-4 in 10 innings. \nThe game started off well for the Hoosiers (20-5) with a RBI single by sophomore Mark Calkins driving home Kennard Jones. The Sycamores matched this with a run of their own in the bottom of the inning, and the game stood deadlocked at one until the third. \nThen Jones scored after a failed pick-off attempt by an ISU pitcher. Indiana State rallied with three runs in the bottom of the fourth to take a 4-2 lead. The three run outburst was highlighted by an RBI single by junior Chris Hall. \nThe Hoosiers weren't done, scoring two runs in the top of the sixth to tie the score at four. Vasili Spanos started the rally off with a double and came home when Joe Kemp reached on an error. Michael Woodside then drove Kemp home to tie the score. \nIn the tenth inning, ISU had just enough to win the game, driving in the winning run on a fielder's choice. \n"I just could not see where our offense was tonight," said head coach Bob Morgan in a press release. "The pitchers we used did a good job, but the offense just wasn't there."\nIU opens up a four game set with the Iowa Hawkeyes (9-11) at Sembower Field Friday at 3 p.m.