6 operas scheduled

"Opera with a Vengeance" is coming to the IU Opera Theater. The 2002-03 season brings power, passion and captivating stories to the Musical Arts Center stage.\nThe six operas in the 2002-03 season are Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's "Don Giovanni," George Frederic Handel's "Julius Caesar," Jacques Offenbach's "The Tales of Hoffmann," the U.S. premier of IU music faculty member Sven-David Sandstrom's "Jeppe," Giuseppe Verdi's "La Traviata" and Leonard Bernstein's "West Side Story."\nAccording to a press release, the operas will be sung in languages ranging from English to Italian to French.\nPeople can subscribe to the Opera Theater in two ways. The Regular Series subscription package includes full-subscriber benefits, including all six operas for the price of five, first-choice of the best seats for the entire season, and being able to order all tickets at once and have them sent by mail. The "Second Fridays" series offers subscribers general admission tickets for a lower price.\nRenewal subscriptions for those who want to keep their seats from this past season must be received by May 17. The deadline for other subscriptions is Aug. 30. Single ticket orders are being accepted now and will be filled after Sept. 6. Subscriptions are available in person at the MAC box office (11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m, Monday through Friday), by phone through the MAC box office at (812) 855-7433, by fax at (812) 855-2753, or online at www.music.indiana.edu/boxoffice.