Weather might postpone again

After battling severely cold weather conditions at the University of New Mexico Lobo Invitational and 36 consecutive hours of rain in Tampa, Fla., that caused the cancellation of a majority of the slated games, the IU softball team is hoping for a chance for steady weather this Saturday. The Hoosiers are scheduled to compete in a double-header against Western Michigan at the IU Softball Field.\nUnfortunately, the weatherman was once again not on their side, and with the inches of snow melting away, this weekend's games are on a stand-by status with the possibility of cancellation. \nIf the team gets the go-ahead, it will face Western Michigan twice, with the first game beginning at noon. If weather does not permit the completion of the games, IU is scheduled return to action when it heads to the Fresno State Classic in Fresno, Calif., for six games March 7-9.\nPlaying only three of the last 11 scheduled games, the Hoosiers have not been able to get the game experience that they should have at this point in the season.\nWith the little experience IU has gained in its young spring season, Coach Diane Stephenson is increasing practices and the intensity of workouts to get her team ready for the upcoming games on the schedule.\n"This week I cracked down," Stephenson said. "We work out now two times a day, and I am hoping that I get their attention and get them focused for the upcoming games."\nIU bolsters a 1-3-1 record, while Western Michigan comes in at 2-3. IU's victory and tie came against New Mexico. All three of the Broncos' losses came at the helm of Louisiana State and DePaul, both nationally-ranked teams.\nStephenson said she's looking to co-captains Stormy Hanson, a third baseman, and Brooke Monroe, a catcher, for leadership on the field to ensure the Hoosiers realize that games should be more relaxing than practices but that the end result should always be a win.\n"I want to see some effort in practices," Stephenson said. "The game days are easier days than practice days, but to get to those game days we have to go 100 percent. We need wins."\nMonroe, a returning starter and first team All-Big Ten selection, is leading the Hoosiers statistically and hopes to make an impact in the upcoming games.\n"I always push myself everyday," Monroe said. "And hopefully that will help me do the best that I can for the team's success"