Three wins from first national title

The men's hockey club appeared in top form Thursday in its second game of the ACHA Hockey Division II National Championships in New York. The Hoosiers routed Franklin Pierce College 15-2. Senior Chad Whitlock stopped all 11 shots he faced in relief of starting goaltender Josh Block. The Hoosiers improve to 2-0 in first-round action.\nSeveral forwards had big offensive days, starting with senior Brandon Phillips, who had two goals and four assists. Freshman David Ravensberg picked up a hat trick and an assist in the effort, while the team's leading scorer, Bryan Grant, added a goal and four assists of his own.\nThe victory sets up a match today against Michigan State to decide who will move on to the semi-finals tomorrow afternoon. This marks the sixth straight national tournament that the Hoosiers will face the Spartans, who scored an 11-2 victory against Franklin Pierce Wednesday. The Hoosiers are undefeated against Michigan State this year, having outscored them 11-2 in three victories.\nWednesday evening the Hoosiers beat Colorado State 6-4 in their opening game of the tournament. Sophomore David Dassell led the way with two goals, while goaltender Charlie Pulley improved his record to 15-1-1.