Thanks to Brehm and the BSU

Thomas Hart Benton is in the House. Or at least, he is still in the classroom.\nMonday, Chancellor Sharon Brehm announced that Benton's controversial mural will remain on display in Woodburn 100, accompanied by diversity education and the One for Diversity Fund, a program dedicated to financing multicultural artwork around campus. More on that in a minute.\nFirst, let us pause to thank Brehm and her cohorts for having the sense to protect the mural, which promotes a progressive message to the occupants of a lecture hall. A lecture hall, mind you, in a state University. A state University, mind you, in Indiana, where the legacy of the Klan still bites.\nIf an ignorant so-and-so wanders into that classroom (not that there are any such persons on this campus), Brehm has assured they will still encounter a piece of public art that, while it may not change their mind, may well challenge them.\nPerhaps I'm overly optimistic to give public art that much credit. But even if the forward-thinking message in the mural is ignored by those who most need to see it, Benton's aggressive treatment of Indiana history will at least instigate campus debate.\nLet us also thank the Black Student Union. I absolutely disagree with anyone who wants the mural to come down or be covered up, but I don't think that was really the group's goal. I am thrilled by its political acumen and use of University procedure to get people talking about race in the classroom and on the campus.\nSpecial kudos go to BSU political action chair Shannon Waldon, who made the decision to turn the group's complaint into an act of political theater. Told to e-mail the group's grievances to the Racial Incidents Team, she assembled a battalion of more than 25 students that marched across campus to file the papers.\nIn a March 5 IDS story by Alex Hickey, she explained that "Showing up as a group shows a more powerful dynamic. It shows we're serious and stand firm behind our position."\nBravo, BSU. I hope you all continue to keep the University on its toes. This should be the first in a series of issues that you tackle, and not the last we hear from you.\nAnd now, a word on the One for Diversity Fund. Let us make a request of Brehm, Shannon Waldon, and all other campus leaders who may influence the Fund. This program could be fabulous, or it could be a flop. It could challenge the University community, or it could be just another opportunity to host receptions at which various campus luminaries unveil bland, unchallenging pieces of art.\nThe current trend in American public art is to avoid controversy and risk at all cost, lest someone be offended. But risky art incites dialogue, initiates change and is a lot more interesting to look at.\nLet's hope the program commissions work that deals honestly and aggressively with cultural issues which are meaningful to the campus.\nLast week, letters to the Editor of this paper revealed an undercurrent of racial unrest right here in the heart of IU. Can new works of art forcefully explore that unrest, help to educate those ignorant of it, and broaden our sense of community possibility?\nOnly if Brehm and others are ready to stand behind a public art fund that is daring, ingenious and a little dangerous.