Hoosiers v. Spartans III

IU and MSU meet in second round of Big Ten tournament

The first time the two teams met was early in the regular season, but it was still an important game. \nThe second encounter was more relevant, with Big Ten title implications involved. \nThe third takes place today.\nThe Hoosiers beat Michigan State by 18 in January at Assembly Hall, but the Spartans rallied to beat IU 57-54 at the Breslin Center last month, wiping out a chance for the Hoosiers to grab a lead in the Big Ten.\nThe third showdown starts this morning at 11:30 a.m. in the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament at Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. \nAfter grabbing a share of the Big Ten regular season title last weekend with a win against Northwestern, IU (19-10) starts its postseason against a familiar foe in Michigan State (19-10). The Spartans come in with five straight victories and have won 10 of 13 after a slow start.\nAlthough Michigan State was ranked when IU beat the Spartans in the teams' first matchup, the Hoosiers probably don't remember much before the loss at Michigan State not even two weeks ago.\nIU watched a 16-point first-half lead slip away as the Spartans got back into the game behind the play of sophomore guard Marcus Taylor. Down the stretch IU junior Tom Coverdale missed a free throw and a three pointer in the game's final minute, each of which would have tied the game.\n"After that game, we knew that we'd probably get another chance to play them again," Coverdale said. "They're one of the hottest teams in the Big Ten right now. We had the game won there, and we let it slip away. That's going to be on our minds."\nThe loss wiped out the Hoosiers' one-game lead in the conference, and IU eventually had to settle for a four-way tie for the league title. This adds up to a different mindset for the Hoosiers as opposed to last year, when IU went to the tournament's championship game.\n"We played well right at the end of (last) season," IU coach Mike Davis said. "We won three straight games. This year, we lost two of the last three, so it's different going into the tournament. \n"Our confidence was really high at this point last year. Our guys now have a different mindset because we won the Big Ten, and I'm sure everyone in this system is telling them how great they are. We have to regain our focus."\nWhat's in front of IU Friday is a familiar team that has played as well as anybody in the Big Ten during the last month of the season. Taylor and junior Adam Ballinger have led a number of young players, and Spartan coach Tom Izzo rectified a season that almost seemed doomed.\nTaylor was the main reason for the comeback win by Michigan State last month. Coverdale and senior Dane Fife haven't forgotten.\n"I've already submitted my request to guard Marcus, but we've got some good defenders on this team besides me," Fife said. "Coverdale did OK against Marcus both games in the regular season, so I have complete confidence in Coverdale guarding him. Marcus is hot right now, and it's going to take all five of us to beat Marcus and Michigan State."\nOne constant in this matchup is the quick start IU has gotten off to against Michigan State. Davis said he is worried about the adjustments Izzo will make with nearly a full week to prepare.\nBut Izzo only thinks of one thing when he thinks of IU -- shooting. After the Hoosiers began the game shooting well from the outside in the last meeting, Izzo stopped doubling Jared Jeffries and IU was slowed down. Izzo hopes the same formula will work.\n"Coverdale and Fife have had incredible years. Hornsby can shoot it as well as anybody if he's open," Izzo said. "They can shoot it from anywhere in the state of Indiana. We think we have as tough a matchup as there is in the tournament."\nDavis sees no major adjustments for his team. Now that another championship is on the line, he knows his team will have no second chances or ties.\n"It's going to be about a fight," Davis said. "They're going to come out and fight us, and hopefully, we fight back."\nIf anybody remembers the first two meetings between these teams, it's Coverdale. He had 20 first-half points in the first meeting, hitting all six of his three pointers. Then there was the missed free throw and the missed three pointer at the buzzer in February that would have sent the game to overtime.\nStill, redemption isn't the first thing on Coverdale's mind.\n"Every loss sticks with you. But we have to put what happened last time (against MSU) out of our mind," he said. "Every game from here on out is going to be a tough game"