world

Soldiers land in Philippines

This week 650 American soldiers, including 160 Special Forces, landed in the Philippines to cooperate in a mission dubbed "Balikatan" or "shoulder to shoulder" according to The Associated Press. The purpose of their deployment was to advise Filipino troops in their conflict with the Abu Sayyaf, an organization with connections to al Qaeda terrorists.\nThe opinions of Filipinos both locally and abroad are varied; the majority are supportive of renewed American military presence in the Philippines. \nIn a survey conducted last week in the Philippines, 86 percent of Filipinos approve of the presence of U.S. troops, said Naty Dumaual, a member of the Barangay Club of Indianapolis. \nHowever, it seems that there have also been protests from Filipino citizens such as young college students fearing that these military exercises are only the beginning of a more lengthy American agenda.\nThese fears are rooted in a historical fear of imperialism, said Bernardita Reyes Churchill, a history professor at the University of the Philippines in Quezon City. \n"The news in Manila is opposed to American troops in the Philippines because we've had such unpleasant experiences with the American military in the Philippines," Churchill said. "They are concerned about this becoming another Vietnam. They are worried American troops will stay longer in the Philippines." \nMany Filipinos, including Gen. Rudolfo Biazon, former chief of Philippine armed forces, are questioning the purpose of the U.S. Military return to the islands, according to AP reports. The Filipino Constitution forbids combat troops in the Philippines and specifies that Americans are only to be advisors, according to the AP. \nThe Philippine Supreme Court Tuesday asked President Macapagal Arroyo's administration to answer a petition by two lawyers who sought to stop the exercises, arguing that a bilateral Visiting Forces Agreement does not allow American troops to train and fire guns in a combat area, the AP reported. \nChurchill said she can see both sides of the argument. The government has a legitimate concern in seeking aid in its conflict with the Abu Sayyaf, she said.\n"This problem has been going on for the last two years, but Philippine efforts have not worked so far. We can't do it alone," Churchill said. \nIndiana Filipinos are supportive of U.S. troops in the Philippines for many reasons. \nEleanor Ware, an IU staff member, agrees with Churchill. \n"The Philippines can use as much help as they can get, but the bottom line is that the Filipinos should still show that they know the ins and outs of the problem," Ware said. "The problem (of Muslim terrorists) has been going on for hundreds of years, and we have not been successful in eradicating the issue." \nAmerican troops also enrich the morale of Filipino citizens and troops. \n"I approve of U.S. troops in the Philippines," Dumaual said. \nIn the past, the U.S. military presence at Clark's Air Force base gave Filipino troops confidence in fighting insurgents, she said.