Team heads to Virginia shorthanded

Injuries, academics hinder team returning from break

The IU wrestlers will have a tough weekend ahead of them. Not only will the Hoosiers be traveling to Norfolk, Va., for the Virginia Duals this Friday and Saturday, they will be missing three starters and compete short-handed.\nInjuries and academics will make the Hoosiers' chance of improving last year's third place finish more difficult. Coyte Cooper sprained knee ligaments and will not be in action at 141 pounds. He looks to return next week to start the Big Ten season. Alex LaPointe (165-pounds) dislocated his shoulder at the Midlands Classic. His return date is not known yet. Jereme Maye (165) is forced to sit out the rest of the season after not making grades.\nHead coach Duane Goldman realizes his team's weakness lies in its depth. With three of the ten starters on the sideline, Goldman knows the others must step up.\n"We're in a difficult situation," he said. "It's extremely tough and disappointing. When our guys go out there and put on their singlet, there is no less expected of them (if they had a full roster)."\nThe Virginia Duals feature 16 teams and a double-elimination tournament format. The Hoosiers will find out their first opponent Friday afternoon. Seedings for the tournament are based on last year's results. IU is optimistic about a high ranking after its third-place finish last year.\n"We should get a pretty nice seed," said Andrew Wolf, who wrestles at 174. "But you prepare for this like any other tournament. There will be a lot of ranked teams. It will be good to see where we are at before Big Ten's start next week."\nWith the roster changes that will have to be made, the Hoosiers will have look for additional points in many of the others key matches.\n"We know that we have to make up for those open spots," sophomore Steve Amy said. "We need to get some pins and major decisions. We need to come mentally prepared."\nThe wrestlers may also have to take more risks in their matches in order to score more points.\n"If we're winning late in the match, we have to look for the extra takedown instead of riding out for the victory," Wolf said. "The extra points in the match may lead to a major decision and more points for the team."\nGoldman knows this weekend will not be an easy one, but he looks forward to the pressure.\n"The highly-ranked guys need to get the pins and extra points," he said. "There is the extra pressure that comes with that, but pressure is good"