Showdown for first place

IU looking to push unbeaten string, take over sole possession the league's top spot

Two weeks ago, Saturday's IU-Ohio State matchup seemed like a normal Big Ten game. \nBut since the start of the conference season, the Buckeyes have bounced all four of their foes. IU has done the same. \nSimilarities between the two teams are striking: both have beaten Iowa; both have beaten Penn State; both have beaten Northwestern; both are surprising the Big Ten by gaining the early edge on supposed league favorites, Illinois, Iowa and Michigan State. \nThe first of two meetings between the No. 25 Hoosiers (11-5, 4-0 Big Ten) and the Buckeyes (13-2, 4-0) 4:30 p.m. Saturday in Value City Arena will be a battle for sole possession of first place in the conference. \n"Right now, we're playing good basketball, but the problem we have is we have to go on the road and play a very good Ohio State team," IU coach Mike Davis said. "Defensively, they're doing a great job, and offensively, (Ohio State) is probably second-to-none on getting open shots. It will be a difficult task."\nThe Buckeyes are fresh off Wednesday's 76-57 thumping of Penn State, in which they put five players in double figures and shot 57.8 percent from the floor. OSU leads the Big Ten in field goal percentage, at more than 50 percent. \nSenior guard Brian Brown leads the Buckeye scoring attack with 14.5 points per game, but has plenty of help. Four OSU starters average double digits, a factor that has helped coach Jim O'Brien's squad soar through its pre-conference schedule and continue to roll through the first four conference games. \nSaturday's game is the second in a six-game stretch that has the Buckeyes playing five home games. Ohio State hasn't lost a Big Ten home game since IU escaped with a 70-67 victory Jan. 31, 2001. \nStill, O'Brien isn't making any predictions.\n"For (IU) to come in here and win would be no fluke," O'Brien said. "If we're going to keep our heads above water, we have to have a very good next couple of weeks."\nIn the midst of a three-game road swing, IU is doing more than keeping its head above water. The Hoosiers re-entered the AP Top 25 this week, after back-to-back wins over ranked opponents (then-No. 25 Michigan State and No. 17 Iowa). \nWith wins at Ohio State and Penn State, the Hoosiers could come back to Bloomington unbeaten for a contest with defending Big Ten co-champion Illinois. The five-day break between Sunday's win at Iowa and Saturday's game have helped the Hoosiers prepare for that possibility. \nSophomore forward and Big Ten Player of the Week Jared Jeffries used Monday and Tuesday to nurse a sore knee, and the rest of the Hoosiers should be well rested and ready for Ohio State's demanding defense; one that is holding opponents to a league-low 58.2 points per game and 27.5 percent from three-point range. \n"We had time to go over some things we wouldn't normally have time to go over," Davis said. \n"Sometimes teams can play well and wear themselves out. Five days off gives us a chance to break things down."\nLike the Buckeye's balanced lineup, both in scoring and size. IU -- off to its first 4-0 league start since the 1992-1993 season when Ohio State handed the Hoosiers their only loss -- should match well with OSU, which starts three guards and have recently used 7-foot center Velimir Radinovic to replace graduated center Ken Johnson, who finished his OSU career the Big Ten's all-time leader in blocked shots. \nIU has used much of the same formula all season, with three guards, tight defense and four starters averaging seven or more points per game. \nThose approaches have worked flawlessly for both teams, and they aren't the only ones taking notice. \n"They're both very good teams," Northwestern coach Bill Carmody said. "The only thing that I see that separates them is Jeffries. He can sort of dominate a game. Both teams are veterans teams on the perimeter and both are well-coached and find ways to win." \nO'Brien, who starts a pair of seniors at guard, admitted earlier this week that facing a forward who can play both inside and outside the lane concerns him. \nAlso grabbing his attention is IU's backcourt, which has led a three-point charge in the last two league games. In those wins, IU has hit 18 of its 29 three-point attempts in the first half, racing out to early leads. \nRegardless of personnel, Davis, who called O'Brien one of the top coaches in the country, is confident the Buckeyes will be ready. \n"(O'Brien) doesn't have five McDonald's All-Americans on the floor," Davis said, "but they play really hard and really well." \nDavis' players are confident they will be ready.\n"We're in a great position," senior forward Jarrad Odle said. "This Ohio State game is very important for us. It should be a good battle for us"