Jordan River Forum

Letters to the Editor

SRSC parking spots intended for patrons, not those going to class\nWith the New Year comes a lot of faulty promises on how people will continue to work out and remain healthy. I realize that these are good goals and do cause a lot more traffic at the Student Recreational Sports Center. But what does not make any sense is having to wait at least 20 minutes for a parking spot at 9 a.m., only to go into a gym that is nearly empty. Where are all the people that parked cars at the SRSC? They are carrying their bags from their cars and walking to class. Yes, the SRSC has E parking spots, where anyone with an E pass can park, but with any common courtesy, people should ONLY park there if they plan on going into the SRSC and not down the block. This is not a new problem. In fact, IU must have been listening to all of the prior complaints and added an addition to the parking lot, with several more E spots to park in.\nFor some reason, this has actually worsened the problem, creating fewer parking spots for those of us who wish to workout. I find it a grave inconvenience to have to wait for a parking spot for sometimes close to half an hour when I only plan on working out for 30 minutes. I have no huge solution to offer the University, but I only ask this of the other IU students: Have some common courtesy and only park at the SRSC if you plan on working out there. Otherwise, get a bus pass.\nNick Moore
Senior

Mascot won't have greater impact than spirit, pride already do\nWe find it disheartening that the new athletics director would seek to improve the camaraderie, program recognition and student support through such an easy "fix" as a new mascot (Editorial "Color changes increase spirit," Jan. 22). We're Hoosiers! No mascot is necessary when you have prestige, history and a worldwide network of alumni.\nKori Neville and Jennifer Glombicki
Alumni

Administration should recognize, support athletics and athletes\nYour sports commentary ("Brand: Stay out of athletics," Jan. 18) about Myles Brand's brand of athletics and spectator academics was right on and virtually mirrors my own observations. How did a school that really had no reason to be ashamed of the academic records of its athletes come to have a president like Myles Brand? Having read his speech about how to "turn down the volume" on major athletics, it was clear that he fails to see any true benefit that athletics affords either the student athlete or the alumni. Can he be so myopic? He is supposed to be a trained philosopher. Many athletes are getting educations they may not have gotten otherwise. Many alumni stay in contact with their school and their former schoolmates because of athletic events, and the love of their school's athletic exploits translates to a higher school profile and desirability in the eyes of prospective students (and not just the sons and daughters of the alums). None of this made the speech. I am personally extremely disappointed in Myles Brand. IU should be, too.\nMarc Young
Alumnus

U.S. should provide support for innocent Afghan civilians\nThe bulk of the war in Afghanistan is over, and Bush is looking for his next target. Before we write that war off as a shining victory, we need to recognize and clean up the mess we\'ve made.\nReuters estimates that approximately 1,000 civilians have been killed by the US bombing campaign. A University of New Hampshire study places the toll at over 4,000. These people had nothing to do with the Sept. 11 attacks which killed approximately 3,000 people.\nOur war in Afghanistan may well have killed more innocent people than the original terrorist attacks. To the extent that the bombing interrupted aid convoys, this may be only the tip of the iceberg.\nGetting food to people in remote villages is proving more difficult. The BBC reports that \"tens of thousands of Afghans are facing starvation and surviving only by eating grass\". \nAll that is needed are vehicles, organization, and some defense against marauding bandits. Why on Earth aren\'t we exerting the minimal effort needed to save these people\'s lives? Have we no sense of decency?\nPeter Drake
Graduate Student