Freshman rises to the Occasion

Jenny DeMuth seemed destined to play basketball for a Big Ten program in a hoops-crazy state since she came out of the womb.\nThe day she was born, her dad's Connersville boys' basketball team captured the 1983 Indiana state title. Beginning in the second grade, DeMuth wouldn't leave her family's backyard until she perfected layups.\nHer family figuratively bleeds cream and crimson. Her dad, Dave DeMuth, lettered in football in 1974. Before college, Jenny DeMuth often camped at Brown County State Park and Lake Monroe and watched IU basketball games in her family's crowded living room.\nSo it only seemed natural that she would accept coach Kathi Bennett's offer to play for the Hoosiers. But no matter how natural the situation seems, DeMuth said she never expected to play, let alone start, for a Big Ten program. And she quickly has adjusted to a daunting task for a freshman. \nAfter point guard Kristen Bodine tore her ACL three games into the season, Bennett moved shooting guard Heather Cassady to the point and made DeMuth a starter. In her first start, DeMuth contributed 13 points and 10 rebounds against Butler. The Hoosiers have won every game DeMuth has scored in double figures.\nDespite a recent offensive slump, DeMuth has kept a firm hold on her starting position, although reserves Jill Hartman and Khisha Asubuhi push for time. The freshman forward/guard has shown strength in rebounding (averaging 5.7, third on the team) and steals (1.8 to lead IU) with hopes of improving her ball handling skills and shooting, an area she mastered in high school.\n"I feel she is a natural guard," Bennett said. "She's not shooting the ball from the perimeter very well, but she can at practice. I mean, she's got great range. She's a big, rebounding guard, and I think that really gives us something that we haven't had. As she continues to get better, our team is going to get better."\nBesides filling in for Bodine, DeMuth has been no stranger to excelling with injuries. As a junior at Highland High School, she sprained an ankle against rival Munster but then carried her team to a win against Portage.\nThe same freak injury occurred the next year. She hobbled down the court, playing at 60 percent against Portage, and could barely concentrate through pain during timeouts, said Chris Huppenthal, DeMuth's high school coach. But she never complained or called a timeout.\nNow, DeMuth must battle natural freshman ordeals, from missing her parents to learning how to adjust to the college game. The starting role demands exceptional focus, dedication and defense, which was unnecessary in high school.\n"In high school, it's so easy," said DeMuth, who scored 1,829 career points. "Everything's handed to you, but here you have to work for everything. You have to bust your butt everyday or you're not going to start. In high school you can go in and have the worst practice ever and still be in the starting lineup."\nAlthough she often was double- or triple-teamed, DeMuth could take her time with the ball because high school opponents were slower. Now, if "she takes a second off, she's going to pay for it," Huppenthal said.\nDespite those obstacles, Bennett said she regards DeMuth as a strong rebounder, especially on the offensive end. It isn't uncommon to see DeMuth with her knees on the floor, collecting bruises along with loose balls.\n"In Jenny's career, she's been beaten up, bruised and battered," Huppenthal said.\nWhile her prep statistics caught college coaches' eyes, her current numbers need a little work -- at least, that's what her dad said. Dave DeMuth, who coached Jenny DeMuth until high school and boasts 23 years of coaching everything from youth leagues to Division III Earlham College, said his daughter needs to improve her offense. She averages 7.8 points on 36-percent shooting. In IU's eight victories, she's averaged 10.5 points and 6.8 rebounds. In the six losses, she's averaged 4.2 points and 4.3 rebounds.\nHer parents didn't push her to attend their alma mater. DeMuth said Bennett's intensity and enthusiasm impressed her. Bennett called DeMuth with a scholarship offer while DeMuth was vacationing at Disney World the summer before her senior year. DeMuth accepted the offer, turning down Ball State and Toledo.\nDeMuth signed early so she could focus on her senior season. She went on to average 22 points, 11 rebounds and five steals and finished runner-up for the Miss Basketball award. \nThings are tougher now. Playing for a Big Ten program has meant games around the country and starting against top-25 opponents. Based on her family's love for IU and basketball, it seemed she was destined to be here, but DeMuth said she never expected to play.\n"I've grown up with Indiana basketball and Indiana athletics my whole life," she said. "To think I would come here and play never crossed my mind. I didn't think I could play at the Big Ten level"