Team's depth gives Hoosiers playing time

All 8 players against Ball State get at least 15 minutes on floor

Coach Mike Davis isn't kidding when he says he has options when it comes to whom he can play. And he isn't afraid to use that bench. All eight Hoosiers who got into the game Saturday played at least 15 minutes.\nThat balance in playing time has led to more contributions from different players. While sophomore Jared Jeffries led the way Saturday with 22 points and junior guard Tom Coverdale had 19, every player had at least three.\nCoverdale might have benefited the most from the Hoosiers' new depth this season. Davis challenged Coverdale during the last two games by giving freshman guard Donald Perry starting assignments at point guard against Notre Dame and the Cardinals.\nCoverdale has responded with his two best performances of the season. \nDavis joked Saturday that he should have started Perry in the first game of the year in order to motivate Coverdale.\nBall State coach Tim Buckley said he was impressed Saturday with Coverdale, who at one point scored 10 straight points for the Hoosiers to give them a 24-16 lead midway through the first half.\n"His toughness is everything. He can finish and score," Buckley said. "You have to have a strong, quick guy on him."

RECRUIT BATTLING FOR \nELIGIBILITY\nAccording to Saturday's edition of the Baltimore Sun, a Carroll County Circuit court judge has said he needs more time and evidence to decide whether or not IU signee Marshall Strickland has exhausted his high school eligibility.\nState public school officials claim that Strickland repeated the ninth grade while in Massachusetts despite excellent grades. This means he has already played four years of varsity basketball. \nWhile a final decision is being reached, Strickland will continue to play. He had 33 points in South Carroll's season-opening win last Wednesday night.

FREE TOSSING\nLast season saw the Hoosiers struggle from the free-throw line for most of the season. In fact, IU was led in free throw percentage by sophomore A.J. Moye, who shot 73.7 percent on 28-of-38 shooting.\nThis year, though, the Hoosiers as a team are shooting 75.8 percent from the foul line as a team, including the 12-of-19 they hit on Saturday. For the season, IU has hit113-of-149 free throws.