Monday, March 18

Freshman earns way into lineup, finishes season strong

The women's soccer team is anchored by talented midfielders. Sophomore Emily Hotz; juniors Lisa Tecklenburg, Kara Bryan, Dana Philp; and seniors Stacey Peterson and Kelly Kram make the position one of the most balanced on the team.\nFor Jessica Laswell, that presented a problem. As a midfielder, it was going to be difficult to see much playing time this season as a freshman. But under the direction of coach Joe Kelley and with a strong work ethic and dedication to the team, the walk-on was able to end the season as a contributing starting player for the Hoosiers.\nLaswell is from Lexington, Ky. She could have attended smaller schools to play college soccer on a scholarship, but after attending some of the soccer camps in Bloomington, she decided IU was where she wanted to play. Her motivation to achieve at IU stemmed from being told by the coach at the University of Kentucky that she wasn't good enough to play there. That sparked a relentless work \nethic for Laswell so she could prove to herself that she could make it at IU. \n"It is so much fun now that I had the opportunity to play and start the last few games of the season," Laswell said. "Not that it wasn't fun when I wasn't playing, but it is so exciting to get back out there and play a lot of minutes like I did in high school."\nLaswell got her first start of the year in the most important game for the Hoosiers this season, facing a must-win situation against Purdue a week-and-a-half ago. She responded by playing strongly all around. \nLaswell saw action in five games this year, including starting the last four. While she didn't tally any points, she helped the Hoosiers go 2-1-1 in the final four games to secure a winning season.\nKelley is happy with the freshman's progression. \n"She has done great," Kelley said. "She has a tremendous attitude, she is fast and we knew she would be a great athlete. She is a hard worker, is out at practice early and stays late. She didn't play much in the beginning, but she worked hard and waited for her chance. She is making the most of her time."\nSophomore Kristin Pimlott has worked closely with Laswell this season. \n"No one expected her to have a significant contribution to the team this year," Pimlott said. "I knew she was a hard worker though, so I'm not surprised she was able to prove herself."\nLaswell is a loose player, and as a freshman, was able to be one of the team's leaders with her relaxed attitude and sense of humor.\n"It was intimidating coming here as a freshman and trying to be so outgoing, but I was always like that," Laswell said. "I was nervous, but I came out of my shell gradually."\nPimlott agreed that Laswell's attitude is a great attribute for the Hoosiers.\n"She gets along with everybody," she said. "Laswell just has so much energy. It's always a good time with her."\nKelley thinks Laswell's best quality is her attitude. \n"She is willing to learn and willing to work hard to learn," Kelley said.\nThe Hoosiers are graduating two vocal leaders at the end of the year in Kram and Butler. Laswell will likely have more of a leadership role next year. \n"She can be a great leader," Kelley said. "I want to see her have the confidence to do that."\nLaswell thinks she could be a positive leader for the team. \n"I was captain for my high school team and it was a great honor," Laswell said. "It would be fun to have that same honor here"