Women's swim team defeats Evansville to start season

The women's swimming and diving team opened its season in victorious fashion for the third straight year Saturday. For the second consecutive year, the win came at the hands of in-state rival Evansville. The Hoosiers defeated the Purple Aces by a score of 188-103 and won all 14 events in the competition.\nCoach Dorsey Tierney was pleased with the way her team started off the year, but said the Hoosiers have room for improvement.\n"I thought we competed very well today," Tierney said. "We do have kinks to work out, but I think we demonstrated our depth in the 400 IM, 500 free and 200 fly today. We have technical things to work on, but overall we did a good job today."\nSophomore Brooke Taflinger from Kokomo, won both the 200-yard freestyle and the 400-yard \nindividual medley. Taflinger's time of 4:24.85 in the 400-yard IM placed her in sixth place all-time for IU swimmers in the event. Her 1:53.57 in the 200-yard free put her in seventh all-time for that event. Taflinger also placed second behind sophomore teammate Sarah Fiden in the 500-yard freestyle.\nTierney was happy with the Taflinger's times and hopes she can continue to improve as the season progresses.\n"Her times were not a real surprise to me," Tierney said. "She is a quick swimmer and is very versatile. She is a tough racer and we see it every day in practice. The training that she has gone through was reflected today and she will just get better each week for the rest of the season."\nIU senior co-captain Susan Woessner returned to the Hoosiers squad after competing in the World University Games and coming home with three medals. Woessner didn't disappoint for the Hoosiers as she placed first in three events. Woessner won the 100-yard free and 100-yard backstroke with times of 52.47 and 59.20 respectively. Woessner was also part of the Hoosiers 200-yard medley relay team which also placed first.\nWoessner was delighted at IU's performance and thought the Hoosier freshmen complemented a strong group of returning swimmers.\n"I thought we had a great performance today," Woessner said. "We are ahead of where we were last season and the freshmen have stepped up big time. They had a great meet and adjusted well to the competitive environment."\nIU's diving team was also impressive in the meet, taking the first through fourth positions in both the one meter and three meter events. \nSophomore Cassandra Cardinell posted a score of 291.15 to win the one meter event and placed third in the three meter. Junior Crystal Gregory scored 291.68 in the three meter to win that event and placed second in the one meter. Junior Lori Matthys placed third in the one meter and second in the three meter respectively while fellow junior Mamie Goodson finished fourth in each event.\nLike Tierney, diving coach Jeff Huber was content with the Hoosiers' opening performance, but looks for the team to continue to improve.\n"We did a good job today," Huber said. "Cassie (Cardinell) stepped up on the one-meter and Lori (Matthys) and Crystal (Gregory) did a great job. There is room for improvement, but overall we performed well today"