Runners compete in Pre-Nationals

The men's cross-country team is headed to Greenville, S.C. for the Pre-National Meet this Saturday. It is being held this year at Furman University. The race features 18 of the top 25 teams in the nation, and it could have a major impact on the Hoosiers season.\n"We need to beat as many (ranked) teams as we can," sophomore Bart Phariss said. \nConsidering the level of national competition, the Hoosiers will face strong opponents. Colorado, who is ranked No. 1 and Wisconsin, who is ranked No. 4, look to be the toughest competition. Wisconsin is in the Great Lakes Region and the Big Ten with IU. \nMembers said the race puts the importance on gaining momentum.\n"We aren't at our peak fitness level," junior Chad Andrews said. "But we still need to get some wins over some ranked teams."\nThe race at Furman University is on a golf course.\n"It's on a golf course, so the footing is better, and it is much flatter. It's a very fast course," head coach Robert Chapman said.\nThere will be about 10 races during the day. The men's race will be broken up into two different races this year. Officials decide which race teams will run in. This could lead to a race where the Hoosiers could avoid some of the powerhouses.\nThe team has not run to its potential this season. After a sub-par performance at the Roy Griak Invitational and a mediocre race at the Notre Dame Invitational, members of the team said they look to run quickly.\n"The guys are training very well, but they need a solid race to get over the hump," Chapman said.\nIn the last few weeks some have had well-run meets, but the team has not put it together as a whole.\n"We need five of the seven guys to run well," Phariss said.\nThere is some pressure for the Hoosiers to perform. This meet helps the team secure at large points and get some experience on the NCAA championship course, which is also held in Greenville.\n"We are going to run well here because we have to," Phariss said. "Our whole season comes down to this race"