world

Powell, Pakistan foreign minister discuss post-Taliban Afghanistan

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan -- Secretary of State Colin Powell and Pakistani President Gen. Pervez Musharraf agreed Tuesday that moderate officials from Afghanistan's radical Taliban regime should be allowed to serve in a post-Taliban government. \nPowell, who is on a three-nation Asia tour, said Taliban officials who signal a willingness to serve in a broad-based successor government should not be automatically excluded. \n"You can't ethnically cleanse Afghanistan after this is over, but you can certainly get rid of this particular regime that has driven this country into such devastation," Powell said. Some of the more moderate elements in the Taliban may be willing "to participate in a different kind of government where the rights of all are respected," he said. \nMusharraf, whose government supported the Taliban militia in the past and who is under great political pressure, said a representative post-Taliban government could include "moderate Taliban leaders." \nMusharraf's support of the U.S.-led coalition has infuriated leaders of militant Islamic parties, who say he has betrayed the nation. They have directed large, sometimes violent protests in recent days, though only several thousand of Pakistan's 145 million people have participated. Muslim leaders staged a partially successful nationwide general strike Monday to coincide with Powell's arrival. \nThe Pakistani leader said his government will assist the U.S. anti-terrorism effort in Afghanistan for as long as it takes to be successful. \n"We will carry on cooperating so long as the operation lasts," he said. \nMusharraf ingratiated himself with the Bush administration early on by agreeing to cooperate with the U.S. effort to root out Osama bin Laden and his terrorist network from Afghanistan. The Pakistani leader acted within days of the Sept. 11 attacks in New York and Washington. \nIn a risky stand for Musharraf, given the many Pakistanis who support the Taliban and bin Laden, Musharraf agreed to share intelligence with the United States, allow U.S. use of Pakistani air space and provide logistical support. \nHe said Tuesday that his commitment was contingent on Pakistan not being asked to go beyond these three areas. \nAt the same time, Musharraf expressed hope the operation in Afghanistan will be short — a point with which Powell concurred. Powell also noted that President Bush has said the anti-terrorist campaign in Afghanistan will continue as long as it takes to achieve its objectives. The United States began military operations in Afghanistan Oct. 7. \nMusharraf's pledges have rejuvenated U.S. relations with Pakistan, which have been strained for years by Pakistan's pursuit of nuclear weapons and the coup that Musharraf staged two years ago against a democratically elected government. \nA senior official traveling with Powell said U.S. financial cooperation, coupled with International Monetary Fund assistance, will lift direct and indirect assistance to Pakistan to more than $1 billion. This assumes that Congress will ease curbs on $500 million in economic assistance programs. \nIn Washington, the House gave final approval Tuesday to lifting the sanctions, which will occur after Bush signs the bill into law. \nAfter the news conference, Powell left for India where he will meet Wednesday with Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee \nPart of Powell's objective in Pakistan and India is to convince the two nuclear powers not to allow their differences over Kashmir to get out of hand. Like Pakistan, India has promised generous support to the anti-terrorism coalition. \nPowell's goal of keeping tensions down was set back as exchanges of gunfire occurred again Tuesday along the border that separates Indian Kashmir from Pakistani Kashmir. Indian troops fired the first shots Monday evening shortly before Powell's plane landed in Islamabad. \nConcerned that rising Indo-Pakistan hostilities could deflect their attention from the global anti-terrorism coalition the Bush administration is trying to forge, Powell expressed a willingness to help Pakistan and India resolve their differences over Kashmir. \nHe stressed the need for dialogue and, in a comment certain to please Pakistanis, said the dispute "must be resolved in accord with the wishes of the Kashmir people." \nPakistan strongly believes India is denying the predominantly Muslim population of Kashmir its right to self-determination. India says Pakistan is engaged in terrorist activities by backing a Muslim insurgency in Kashmir.