Guards battle for right to lead Hoosiers

Tom Coverdale entered last season as IU's point guard as an unknown sophomore. \nMen's basketball coach Mike Davis revealed Monday that the 2000-2001 season could begin with another inexperienced leader. \nFreshman Donald Perry, who sat out for much of Monday's workout with a pulled groin, is leading a two-man race to lead IU's offense. \n"Right now, he's ahead (of Coverdale)," Davis said of Perry, citing Coverdale's casual play as the reason for the battle. "Tom's not playing the way I want him to."\nOne factor that likely led to Davis' decision was Saturday's 40-minute scrimmage, in which a Coverdale-led team including senior Jarrad Odle, junior Jeff Newton and sophomores George Leach and A.J. Moye lost by 38 points. \n"That's not good," Davis said. "That tells you a lot. If they don't see the big picture there, then that's a big problem. Those are the guys people want me to play and expect me to play. Hopefully, they understand."\nThe Injury Bug\nBoth potential point guards are hampered by injuries. \nPerry left practice mid-way through Monday's workout, headed for the locker room, then returned only to sit on the bleachers and watch the remainder of practice. Perry's groin, which he injured Thursday, has limited his lateral movement. \n"I feel like I'm at 50 percent," Perry said.\nCoverdale bumped his knee during practice Friday and wore a knee brace around his right leg. \nSeveral other Hoosiers showed signs of bumps and bruises Monday.\nMoye, who has consistently strapped a shoulder brace onto his right shoulder during practice, said the injury won't limit him come game-time. Moye indicated he won't wear the brace during games, but will continue to do so during practice. \n"It hurts, but when you're out there, you don't think about it," Moye said. "I probably won't do the brace thing during the game. I'll be a little more wild and daring. In practice, I'll be a little more on the safe side."\nMoye's brace covered his torso and wraps around his shoulder, but he said it doesn't limit his mobility. \nSophomore forward Mike Roberts used a lower leg wrap Monday to control shin splints that have slowed him during practice. \nFreshman forward Sean Kline sat out with a potentially torn chest muscle. Kline injured his chest lifting weights and will have an MRI today to determine the extent of the injury.\nTech-nically speaking\nIU has replaced next season's scheduled game with Texas Tech -- which was to be played in Assembly Hall -- with a two-year contract with Vanderbilt. Juniors Kyle Hornsby, Newton and Coverdale all played under current Tech coach and former IU coach Bob Knight, but won't get the chance to play against him. \nThe cancellation of the game has led to mixed emotions, but the respect for Knight hasn't faded.\n"Whatever talent he ends up with, he's always going to be good … simply because of the way he demands they play," Hornsby said. "I was a little sad that we're not going to play, because I would have liked the opportunity to play against him. On the other hand, I would not have liked to lose and I know he would not have liked to lose either, so it's a little bit of a relief."\nNational Recognition\nSophomore forward Jared Jeffries is included on the Naismith Award and John Wooden Award watch list. Both accolades honor the nation's top player. Jeffries is also listed as a preseason All-Big Ten selection by Athlon, Street & Smith's and The Sporting News. \n"I want to come out this year and prove that I am an All-American," Jeffries said. "And if things fall into place and I get some national player of the year awards, that will be something I worked hard for this summer and the coaches worked hard for all year."\nA New 'Do \nThe most noticeable change Monday might have been Dane Fife's new hair-do. Fife shaved his head Saturday, but said he plans to let the hair return. \n"He told me he wanted a new look, but I think he lost a bet," Davis said.