Men's team focuses on tragedy

The men's cross country meet scheduled for today at Purdue has been suspended out of respect for those who lost their lives in terrorist acts that have shaken the country to its foundation. \nThe Indiana Intercollegiate meet was canceled along with all other Indiana athletic events this weekend. It follows the precedent set by Major League Baseball and other colleges around the country. Coach Robert Chapman referred his comment to the official IU athletic department press release.\n"Some of the considerations for suspending competition included the safety and welfare of its student-athletes, respect for the victim's families as well as the decision by other major universities in the sate to not compete this weekend," according to the release. \n"I think with what has happened (and) with everybody else canceling (there was) no way we could have a meet. It should have been done," said senior Kevin Chandler. "... No matter how far away you get, you know somebody from New York."\nWith President Bush asking for a return to normalcy, the meet might be run Monday. \nThe team is not worried about whether or not it gets to run the meet. \n"The postponement isn't really a big deal" Chandler said. "We can have a couple hard practices now. (We will) make do with what we got."\nThe team, although focused on its goals, realizes there should be time to reflect on the disastrous events. \n"I think it is a good thing to do it out of respect. It shows people really care about what's going on. This really affects the country," junior Chad Andrews said. "(It is) not really that big a deal that the meet isn't being run"