Five alumni join IU Hall of Fame

Athletes inducted span eras and sports, include gold medal winning Olympian

Ed Davis, Archie Harris, Terry Brahm, Mark Lenzi and Michele Redman joined 114 former IU coaches, administrators and athletes in the Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony Friday at Assembly Hall. The IU Intercollegiate Athletics Hall of Fame, established in 1982 by the Department of Athletics in conjunction with the Varsity Club and the I-Men's Association, recognizes individuals who have made exceptional contributions to the prestige of Indiana University, on and off the field of competition. \nDavis was a three-sport athlete for the Hoosiers. He was known as "Big Ed", and his role in IU's athletic history is considerable. He won football letters from 1911-13 and was the team captain in 1913. He was the only three-time Big Ten heavyweight wrestling champion in IU history, helping the Hoosiers to their first Big Ten crown. He picked up an additional letter as a weightman in track, then entered medical school. He stayed with the IU wrestling program as a coach for two seasons. He received his M.D. in 1919, and, blending in three years of professional football, went on to a career as a physician in Muncie. \nHarris earned letters in football and track from 1938-41. He led the Big Ten in receiving yards in 1940 and was a second team All-Big Ten selection. That same year he won the Big Ten indoor shot put crown and also earned the discus crown in 1941. He went on to win the NCAA Championship in the discus with a world record mark. He is the only Hoosier to win a field event at the NCAA and National Championships in one year.\nBrahm was a two-time All-American who won four Big Ten indoor championships in the mile and two mile run, and earned an outdoor conference crown in the 5,000 meters. He went on to win an NCAA Championship in the 5,000, and was a member of the 1988 Olympic team in that event. He still holds the IU outdoor mile record. \n"I can say over the course of that time here, IU really opened my eyes to a lot of great things that are out in the world," Brahm said. "Sam Bell was my coach for 11 years, coached me through three Olympic trials, and when I made the Olympic team in '88. Sam Bell was everything."\nLenzi, one of the country's most prolific divers, earned letters for the Hoosiers from 1987-90. He swept the Big Ten Championship in 1989, winning the one-meter, three-meter and platform events. He won a pair of NCAA crowns, winning the one-meter event in 1989 and 1990. In 1992, he reached the pinnacle of his career, winning Olympic gold on the one-meter. He later earned a bronze medal in the 1996 games. He won a total of eight National Championships and recorded the sport's first 100-point dive.\n"Indiana University itself, of course, played a huge role. But more importantly, Hobie Billingsley, who was the coach here, played a bigger role," Lenzi said. \nAn emotional Lenzi asked the crowd at the ceremony to give Billingsley a standing ovation for his contributions to IU athletics. "I've lived in about 10 different states. I've been all over the world. This is home for me," Lenzi said. "I love Indiana. I'm very proud to be a Hoosier."\nRedman, a successful member of the LPGA tour, earned letters from 1984-87. She earned All-Big Ten honors in each of her four seasons and helped the Hoosiers to two team conference crowns. She won Big Ten medalist honors in 1987 and was named second-team All-American that same season. Redman has recorded two career victories and 40 top 10 finishes on the LPGA tour, and she competed in the Solheim Cup last year, which is the women's equivalent to the men's Ryder Cup.\n"I wouldn't be where I am today without Indiana University. I probably wouldn't be in the LPGA... Coach Carmichael taught me organization and discipline," Redman said. "To see myself up with all the awesome athletes that we've had here is really neat"