Criticisms of America tiring

During our national tragedy, I have noticed many people throughout this country and the world express their sympathy and sorrow. It made me feel decent and good to be an American and a citizen of a world aligned against individual and state terrorists -- the scourge of civilization. \nBut nothing has shocked me more than to hear people, mostly American citizens, say that we have brought this upon ourselves through our religious immorality or through conducting our foreign policy.\nAs an columnist, I expect letters from people who disagree with my viewpoints. I rarely respond in my column. But I have seen too many letters from readers in the IDS and other papers to delay my response any longer.\nIf you feel that the United States has brought this terrorist attack on itself, you are wrong. If you feel that U.S. foreign policy is evil or exploitative, you are wrong. If you feel that the United States deserved this, you are wrong and cruel, among other things. If you feel that the United States is as aggressive and controlling a nation as propaganda has claimed, you are wrong and naive.\nNow that I have made some of you mad, listen up, you're going to be infuriated. Those leftist ideologues (not Democrats) and radical religious fanatics (not Republicans) who hold these views are ignorant of history, both factually and contextually. They have succumbed to conspiracy theories and irrational models of world politics. They claim many things but offer little proof. They proudly scorn the rest of us for believing in the inherent goodness of our democratic government and applaud when our nation or leaders do make mistakes. They proclaim wisdom by stamping long titles to their commentary.\nWhat these people conveniently overlook is substantial. They forget that the United States has given vast sums of money and food to most of the developing world. They forget that never, never has the United States launched a military strike that was not in defense of its citizens, allies or essential interests. Isn't it odd that those who criticize us so roundly are rarely able to criticize themselves? Most importantly, these people fail to realize that the criticism they so freely make here would send them to jail or death in much of the world. These people should try reasoning with terrorists not to do such things again; I hope they come back alive.\nI am tired, people. I'm tired of hypocrites who use the freedom of democracy to chastise democracy. I'm tired of people who preach tolerance but don't practice tolerance. I'm exhausted from hearing supposedly educated people calling our leaders "dumb" and "stupid" when they themselves lack the courage to lead. \nBut most of all, I'm sad because many extremists in this country just don't realize what it means to live here. And I'm not alone. People from Gov. Jesse Ventura of Minnesota to comedian Jay Leno have spoken against such people to defend America and her way of life.\nThose pessimists who so adamantly protest and speak ill of America and democracy should bury their heads in shame; I, for one, am tired of listening to their self-righteous chatter. \nThis has nothing to do with freedom of speech, and everything to do with respecting freedom and those that provide it.