Skip to Content, Navigation, or Footer.
Friday, Aug. 21
The Indiana Daily Student

City Council passes budget,with exception of firing range

The Bloomington City Council passed its 2002 operating budget Wednesday night, with an 8-1 vote. Councilman Jason Banach, expressing concerns over multiple issues in the budget, voted against it.\nBloomington will operate on a $47.2 million dollar budget, up from $44.2 million last year. Property taxes will not increase more than 1.91 percent and the levy will increase no more than 2.44 percent, said City Controller Tom Guevara.\n"I don't feel that this is an irresponsible budget, I feel this is a fairly responsible budget," said Banach, who wanted to see changes in part of the utilities budget that charge for runoff fees on vacant lots. "Not only are residents paying this fee, but city departments are paying this fee. It's robbing Peter to pay Paul."\nBanach also wanted to use money from the city's general fund to abolish the garbage collection stickers.\nCouncil President Patricia Cole, whose son is a New York City police officer, opened the meeting with a council statement on the terrorist attacks on the East Coast and called for a moment of silence in remembrance before resuming the relatively short agenda.\n"I personally still feel like I'm in a state of shock," she said. "But in the coming days and weeks, we're all called upon to exhibit a strength of character that makes this a great and good and powerful nation."\nThirteen members of the Bloomington Police Department will receive a 4.1 percent increase in salary, and the city's budget allows for the addition of one police officer and three fire fighters. \nAlso included in the budget was support for the $6 million parks improvement fund.\nCouncil member Tim Mayer expressed gratitude for those in the local police and fire units.\n"We need those people there to protect us," he said. "Those people clearly are willing to give their lives to protect ours."\nLeft out of the 2002 budget is the controversial firing range, which would have used up $150,000 in the Police Department appropriation section of the General Fund, but will now be switched over to the Sanitation Department General Fund, bringing their total to $850,000.\nOver concerns many local residents near the proposed Bottom Road site expressed at last week's council meeting, Mayor John Fernandez decided to remove the item from the year's budget, but will continue to look at building a range.\n"Dealing with this issue of having a facility in close proximities to our community that our law enforcement personnel can get the adequate, effective training that they need is going to continue to be a high priority," he said.\nCole praised the mayor's decision, but reiterated the need for a proper training facility for the police. "We need to find a range, whether it's working with the public, one that the public can also come and use, or one that's strictly for our officers. But I for one would like to see it include the public if at all possible."\nThe decision to avoid the proposed Bottom Road site pleased many residents.\n"I'd like to personally thank those members of the city council who supported our cause," said Bean Blossom Valley Neighborhood Association President Paul Toddy. "I'd also like to thank Mayor Fernandez for his support of opening up the options of listening and for bringing this amendment to the city council."\nThe council postponed next week's meeting to Sept. 19, when it will consider the proposed sidewalk ordinance which would require businesses to clear a 54-inch pathway in front of their property.

Get stories like this in your inbox
Subscribe