Amos borrows lyrics for creative album

Strange Little Girls Tori Amos Atlantic Records

There is no one like Tori Amos.\nHer sparkling footsteps have led the way for angst-ridden singer-songwriters throughout the past decade. She is the leader for the wave of riot grrrls and passion-driven females who are a dominant force in modern music and culture. Amos is a true innovator, and Strange Little Girls purely reinforces this role. \nThe concept of the album is undoubtedly unique; Amos takes on 12 different persona to retell lyrics written by men from a female perspective. The album contains no original lyrics, a first for an Amos full-length album, but does not fall short in creativity in any way. Each song is thoroughly reinvented with signature Amos style.\nAmos selected lyrics from the likes of Joe Jackson, Neil Young, the Beatles, Lou Reed and even Slayer. This eclectic mix of songwriting ensures that each track on the album stands out in a distinctive way, and not one is similar to the next. Strange Little Girls starts out on an intense note with Reed's "New Age" darkly reinvented by Amos, and is followed by a spine-chillingly version of Eminem's "'97 Bonnie and Clyde." The song is violent, breathtaking and eerie. \nThe highlight of Strange Little Girls is the title track, an up-tempo, drum- and bass-driven song, which is reminiscent of Amos' early Little Earthquakes style. The song is dense and powerful, full with rich melodies and harmonies.\nOf course, no Amos album is complete without several solid piano tracks, and on Strange Little Girls, Depeche Mode's "Enjoy the Silence" is one. Amos performs a sophisticated and passionate performance of the classic, heated song. \nNothing on Strange Little Girls is anything like "Heart of Gold." Amos reinvents Young in his own style, and it is by far the most intense and amazing song on the album. It is not quite something you would expect from Amos, but she conquers the song with style and class.\nAmos changes the entire message of these songs without altering the lyrics. The words she chooses to express are captivating, as are the characters that portray them. The words of Strange Little Girls are the essence, and Amos has constructed a beautiful album.