Accepting each other

When international events happen, they tend to hit home at IU.\nThe large number of foreign students on our campus; the faculty and staff members who have come to IU from around the world; the IU students who are studying and have studied abroad -- all those help make the world seem like a smaller place from here. During the days and weeks ahead, as the world continues to react to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, that international focus will pose opportunities and challenges for our University community.\nI have been greatly heartened by the overwhelming displays of support on our campuses -- support for our nation and our democratic ideals in a time of crisis, support for the public safety officers striving to save lives on the sites of the terrorist attacks and support for one another.\nIU is, of course, an institution of teaching and learning. We need to marshal our abundant intellectual resources to help inform our policy-makers and our fellow citizens about the choices that lie ahead.\nIn the School of Environmental and Public Affairs, Department of Political Science, Department of Near Eastern Languages and Cultures department, Middle Eastern Studies Program and many other parts of the University, our faculty members can offer impressive expertise regarding the issues that our nation will be facing. This is an important aspect of our public mission.\nOf course, I don't expect that all the experts will speak with one voice any more than I believe that all members of our University community will share one point of view. While there is no question that justice requires that we take action against those who perpetrated these evil acts of terror, I would expect passions will run high on all sides of the issues if the United States becomes militarily engaged.\nThen, the University must fulfill its role as a free and open marketplace of ideas, where many different views are heard and debated in an atmosphere of mutual respect. We must rise above knee-jerk reactions and stereotypes.\nIt is crucial, in these troubling times, to extend our understanding and our hand of friendship to foreign students. While we will strongly protect academic freedom and First Amendment rights on our campuses, harassment and ethnic hatred directed toward any of our students will not be tolerated. I have been greatly impressed with the positive and caring attitude shown by the vast majority of our students in this regard.\nThose who do scapegoat members of any ethnic or religious group will, in their own small and petty way, only be furthering the cause of those who attack this country in hopes of undermining what makes our society strong.\nI have been particularly proud of our Muslim students, who have stepped forward, voicing their own shock and horror at the terrorist attacks and making a sincere call for conciliation and understanding.\nSending students abroad and bringing outstanding international students to Indiana has had a lasting, positive impact on our culture here. It is easy to demonize a faceless group. The situation changes when a member of that group is someone you see in the cafeteria every day or who sits next to you in class. That person is an individual, a fellow student, another member of the IU family.\nKnowledge about and understanding of our world is a resource for our nation in what may be difficult times ahead. Even if debates become heated, even as some express unpopular viewpoints, we will encourage an open exchange of ideas where differing opinions are heard and valued.\nThat is our job as a university; that is the responsibility of our faculty, staff and students. And we will fulfill it to the best of our ability.