Around The Game

Linebacker Smith named to Butkus Award Watch List\nBloomington -- Indianapolis Warren Central High School product Justin Smith has been named, along with 10 other Big Ten linebackers, to the Watch List for the Butkus Award. This award, presented annually to the nation's best collegiate linebacker, has a 69-member Watch List. \nThe 6-foot, 218-pound Smith was awarded a Bachelor's degree in Accounting from IU last spring and has earned Academic All-Big Ten honors in each of the past three seasons. On the playing field, Smith earned second-team All-Big Ten honors in 2000 as he started 11 games at outside linebacker and recorded 74 tackles, including 14 tackles for loss and six sacks. He also was credited with four passes broken up and two forced fumbles. Smith earned Big Ten Defensive Player-of-the-Week honors in a win against Iowa and was instrumental in IU's victory against Minnesota as he forced a fumble by quarterback Travis Cole on a thundering hit late in the fourth quarter. \nHoosiers play host to St. John's, Kentucky\nThe 4th-ranked men's soccer team will play host to the adidas/IU Credit Union Classic at 7:30 p.m. at Bill Armstrong Stadium Friday and Saturday.\nIU faces 11th-ranked St. John's Friday and 23rd-ranked Kentucky Saturday.\nTickets are $4 for adults and $2 for youth, and IU students are admitted free of charge with their student ID. \nAs a preview to the adidas/IU Credit Union Classic, the IU Men's Soccer team will be hosting a "meet and greet" 7:30 p.m. at Bill Armstrong Stadium. Included will be an autograph session, distribution of schedule cards and posters, music, prizes and photograph opportunities with the players. \nCross country 3rd in Big Ten rankings\nBloomington -- Indiana is ranked third in the United States Cross Country Coaches Association NCAA Great Lakes Regional pre-season rankings behind No. 1 Notre Dame and No. 2 Wisconsin. \n1. Notre Dame\n2. Wisconsin\n3. Indiana\n4. Eastern Michigan\n5. Ohio State\n6. Michigan\n7. Miami of Ohio\n8. Butler\n9. Michigan State\n10. Purdue\nCarruthers advances to World University Games\nBloomington -- Ellakisha Williamson and 2001 NCAA runner-up Danielle Carruthers advanced to Tuesday's final in the women's 100-meter hurdles at the World University Games in Beijing. Williamson rode a quick start to a second-place finish in the semifinals in 13.21 seconds, just behind Australian Jacquie Unro's 13.15. Carruthers did likewise, finishing second in 13.16 to China's Su Yiping (13.15). In the first round, Williamson won her heat in 13.10 and Carruthers won hers in 13.25\nHockey team holds meeting for new, returning players\nThe IU hockey team will be holding a meeting for new and returning players at 8:30 p.m. today in the Student Recreational Sports Center auditorium. \nFootball Student Tryout Camp to hold meeting today\nThe IU Football Student Tryout Camp will hold an organizational meeting for anyone interested and eligible to tryout for the football team 3:30 p.m. today at the football complex on the East side of Memorial Stadium.\nCall the football office at 855-9618 with any questions.